TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Sloppy journalism...... My pet hate.... 904430666

This quote from the BBC website had me puzzled for a while.....Gary Johnson, Yeovil's manger

"So we thought we'd have a bit of a position with strength and then try to keep the ball and break on them. Again we had the first couple of chances - Keith Lamar's header and a shot or two......."

I scoured the teamsheet, but couldn't find a Keith Lamar playing, but then, re-reading the beginning of the article.......

"Chesterfield ended a three-match losing run with a hard-fought goalless draw at home to League One strugglers Yeovil.

Kieffer Moore wasted two chances for the visitors, without a win in seven league games, including a header that hit the legs of home keeper Tommy Lee.........."

My pet hate.... 4268314175
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:01 am

Bloody hell, what's Tommy Lee doing playing in goal for Yeovil Town? My pet hate.... 692773407
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:18 am

Red614 wrote:Bloody hell, what's Tommy Lee doing playing in goal for Yeovil Town? My pet hate.... 692773407

Ah.........I've cut the quote off........it should actually read Tommy Lee Jones.................... My pet hate.... 692773407
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:32 am

I'm always surprised by some of the shoddy mainstream sport journalism. Of all the people in the world who SHOULD get line ups, names, dates, stadia etc right it should be those guys/gals.

With that in mind, here's a letter Motty wrote to an aspiring journalist some 25 years ago or so...

My pet hate.... Motty10
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:31 am

A friend of mine worked until recently as chief cricket writer on a national daily and covered Premiership soccer in the winter. He had to take a similar route to Motty and started off as a tea boy on a local rag before working his way up the greasy pole. I had a similar start in my career (tip - always make sure the pole is greasy, it's much less painful).
I may be wrong (although it's never happened before) but these sort of lowly jobs which provide opportunities for progression don't seem to exist any more
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:55 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:A friend of mine worked until recently as chief cricket writer on a national daily and covered Premiership soccer in the winter.  He had to take a similar route to Motty and started off as a tea boy on a local rag before working his way up the greasy pole. I had a similar start in my career (tip - always make sure the pole is greasy, it's much less painful).
I may be wrong (although it's never happened before) but these sort of lowly jobs which provide opportunities for progression don't seem to exist any more

If only there was some kind of hand related insulating garment who could illuminate us on sports journalist career progressions...
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:
Cyncoedslumdog wrote:A friend of mine worked until recently as chief cricket writer on a national daily and covered Premiership soccer in the winter.  He had to take a similar route to Motty and started off as a tea boy on a local rag before working his way up the greasy pole. I had a similar start in my career (tip - always make sure the pole is greasy, it's much less painful).

If only there was some kind of hand related insulating garment who could illuminate us on sports journalist career progressions...

........keeping his young head well below the parapet, I fancy....... My pet hate.... 4228682415
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 am

I've been working as a sports journalist for 12 months now and nothing frustrates me more than reading articles with errors. The Echo are hands down the worst publication around for this. One reporter is particular, who I won't name, takes it to a whole new level.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:I've been working as a sports journalist for 12 months now and nothing frustrates me more than reading articles with errors. The Echo are hands down the worst publication around for this. One reporter is particular, who I won't name, takes it to a whole new level.

Oh go on, NAME AND SHAME!

Popcorn

It's not like he/she is reading this forum or anything... My pet hate.... 4228682415
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:00 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:
*** G L O V E S *** wrote:I've been working as a sports journalist for 12 months now and nothing frustrates me more than reading articles with errors. The Echo are hands down the worst publication around for this. One reporter is particular, who I won't name, takes it to a whole new level.

Oh go on, NAME AND SHAME!

Popcorn

It's not like he/she is reading this forum or anything... My pet hate.... 4228682415

Exactly right. The standard of literacy indicates long hours spent trawling (or is it trolling) through certain other boards.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:01 pm

There is actually nothing wrong with the following quote, but I read it early this morning and it took me ages to make any sense of it...... Rolling Eyes

"James McArthur will join former Hamilton and Wigan team-mate James McCarthy in missing the Euro 2016 qualifier between Scotland and Ireland."
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum