View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-fc-defender-michael-7634837

Really?

I would be amazed if we were still after another center back now. If we did bring anyone else in for that position then almost certainly somone ( Hudson, Turner or Connolly) would be on their way. Ole has already praised both Hudson and Connolly for their performances so far.

This looks like a bit of lazy journalism by Terry Phillips. The door closes on one target but there is every chance that door was closed anyway the moment we signed Morrison. Does Terry Phillips seriously think we are STILL after another CB at this stage?

Either Ole is confused by still looking for someone in that position or, more likely, Terry Phillips is in believing we are still looking elsewhere for a CB.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:12 am

It is a tad lazy when there are no names mentioned, it looks more like an assumption than fact. But I do think OGS doesn't trust some of our longer serving defenders as being technically good enough and he clearly wants huge strength in depth, something that Fergie achieved at times at Man Yoo
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 am

Trying to figure out what position id strengthen now and I'm struggling. Maybe an attacking midfielder because Gunnarrson is a square peg in a round hole, or a 'proper' left winger to allow Whitts to remain central. Although I'm being very greedy either way.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:41 am

Huge strength in depth would be one way of putting it. I think you CAN have too many players though making it all but impossible to keep them happy. The looming change if another CB is signed is obviouly Hudson. Not because i think he is not good enough for us this season but because a lot of people think that his main weakness (his lack of pace) is more important than what i see as his biggest assets (his experience and leadership).

There is no doubt before the season started that i wouldn't have worried about losing Connolly but i have to admit he deserves his place in the squad at the moment and probably in the starting line up too. Hudson deserves his place in the squad too in my opinion - and for the moment in the starting line up too. I think losing him from the club would be a waste and bringing someone else in to be 5th or 6th choice would be equally so.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 am

Saw or read an interview with Ole in the past few days where he said that he's happy with the squad and thinks our business is done for this window.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:47 am

TDA wrote:Saw or read an interview with Ole in the past few days where he said that he's happy with the squad and thinks our business is done for this window.

Me too. Which is why i found the article confusing.

Maybe Terry Phillips has better things to do than listen to what Ole is saying  Wales Online - Cardiff City setting their sights on new defensive target 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:08 am

Or he's too used to Malky's constant stream of media bulls**t... Wales Online - Cardiff City setting their sights on new defensive target 692773407
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Red614 wrote:Trying to figure out what position id strengthen now and I'm struggling. Maybe an attacking midfielder because Gunnarrson is a square peg in a round hole, or a 'proper' left winger to allow Whitts to remain central. Although I'm being very greedy either way.

We don't need a left winger, as that's what Pilkington is. He's also very comfortable on the right wing or playing as an attacking midfielder. Nooney is also fairly interchangable. I don't believe we will bring anyone else in now as it seems we are sorted in all areas, but you can't tell if it's OGS throwing the media off the scent or not!
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Slumdog's Son™️ wrote:
Red614 wrote:Trying to figure out what position id strengthen now and I'm struggling. Maybe an attacking midfielder because Gunnarrson is a square peg in a round hole, or a 'proper' left winger to allow Whitts to remain central. Although I'm being very greedy either way.

We don't need a left winger, as that's what Pilkington is. He's also very comfortable on the right wing or playing as an attacking midfielder. Nooney is also fairly interchangable. I don't believe we will bring anyone else in now as it seems we are sorted in all areas, but you can't tell if it's OGS throwing the media off the scent or not!

Noone and Pilkington would presumably be the first team choices, I'm thinking more about the backup. Whitts and Daehli can both play wide but I'd rather see them both freed up to play centrally. But as I said, in well aware I'm being greedy Wales Online - Cardiff City setting their sights on new defensive target 692773407
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 am

The only potentially weak area for us now is at LB, Fabio is a very inconsistent and I can see it biting us later in the season - John is still young too. It would be good to have someone with equal experience to Brayford on the left imo
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum