View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 am

Forget the X-Factor, we have the Ole-Factor!

At the risk of upsetting Toastie, I will mention, just this once, that the signings we have made in the past two weeks would not have been possible this time last year. We struggled badly to tempt players to what was an unknown quantity of a club and that laid the foundations for the dire season we have just endured.

In terms of footballing reputation, we are now somewhat worse off having been relegated, but appear to be more attractive to players who would have served us well in the PL, never mind the Championship...................... The Ole-Factor 4228682415 

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 am

To back this up TDA, Le Fondre said the ole was a boyhood hero of his and couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for him.

I think you maybe right on this one The Ole-Factor 1525230823
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 am

Rhys wrote:To back this up TDA, Le Fondre said the ole was a boyhood hero of his and couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for him.

I think you maybe right on this one
The Ole-Factor 1525230823

Thank you, Rhys!

Unlike some on here, particularly a certain resident of CF23, I am modest, well-informed and perceptive........ The Ole-Factor 635981802 
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu May 29, 2014 7:43 am

I  will give you that Ole's profile will attract more players than Malky's. It is a simplification though. This time last season we were trying to attract players who would have the attention of other Prem clubs to come and take part in, more than likely, a relegation battle. Where this season we are trying to attract players who will mostly have the attention of other Championship clubs to come and take part in what, could well be, a challenge for promotion.

Also, while i am sure the fees and wages were the main factor involved, Malky did bring Medel and Caulker on board - hardly a case of not being able to land any targets.

Ole's ability to successfully manage the players he brings in is my biggest worry - especially defensively.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Thu May 29, 2014 8:06 am

TDA wrote:
Rhys wrote:To back this up TDA, Le Fondre said the ole was a boyhood hero of his and couldn't pass up the opportunity to play for him.

Thank you, Rhys!  

Unlike some on here, particularly a certain resident of CF23, I am modest, well-informed and perceptive........ The Ole-Factor 635981802 

Thanks for letting me know about this inferior being (this obviously applies to most people compared to me) but I wish I knew who you meant  scratch so that my massive intellect could put him right on a few things. I know for a fact that there are posters on here who don't know their Roman numerals from their elbow.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu May 29, 2014 8:52 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
TDA wrote:

Thank you, Rhys!  

Thanks for letting me know about this inferior being (this obviously applies to most people compared to me) but I wish I knew who you meant  scratch so that my massive intellect could put him right on a few things. I know for a fact that there are posters on here who don't know their Roman numerals from their elbow.

Ah, I spy the beneficiary of a pre-comprehensive-system education........ Rolling Eyes 
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Thu May 29, 2014 9:02 am

TDA wrote:
Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
TDA wrote:

Thank you, Rhys!  

Ah, I spy the beneficiary of a pre-comprehensive-system education........ Rolling Eyes 

Correct. Those were the days when the oiks failed their 11 plus and were segregated from us until they left school at 15 to take up their apprenticeships.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Toast Boy wrote:I  will give you that Ole's profile will attract more players than Malky's. It is a simplification though. This time last season we were trying to attract players who would have the attention of other Prem clubs to come and take part in, more than likely, a relegation battle. Where this season we are trying to attract players who will mostly have the attention of other Championship clubs to come and take part in what, could well be, a challenge for promotion.

Also, while i am sure the fees and wages were the main factor involved, Malky did bring Medel and Caulker on board - hardly a case of not being able to land any targets.

Ole's ability to successfully manage the players he brings in is my biggest worry - especially defensively.

I agree, but there is still fierce competition with rival clubs for these signatures, albeit within a different scenario.

As to OGS's coaching ability, let's put that to one side for the time being and enjoy seeing a strong squad being assembled well in advance of those rival clubs.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Thu May 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Oh I am actually happy enough with the signings. It just feels like comparing apples with oranges. I think Malky did OK at this level landing Noone,Mitch and Campbell.

As to Ole well is a new season. Hopefully a full preseason, his own players and a different league will result in vastly different performances and results.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostToast Boy Thu May 29, 2014 8:57 pm

That Mitch was unintentional by the way.

Damn phone!
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Toast Boy wrote:That Mitch was unintentional by the way.

Damn phone!

The Ole-Factor 692773407 The Ole-Factor 1525230823 
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Thu May 29, 2014 10:08 pm

TDA wrote:Forget the X-Factor, we have the Ole-Factor!

At the risk of upsetting Toastie, I will mention, just this once, that the signings we have made in the past two weeks would not have been possible this time last year.  We struggled badly to tempt players to what was an unknown quantity of a club and that laid the foundations for the dire season we have just endured.  

In terms of footballing reputation, we are now somewhat worse off having been relegated, but appear to be more attractive to players who would have served us well in the PL, never mind the Championship...................... The Ole-Factor 4228682415 

Time will tell.

His signings in January, apart from Arthur were a big disappointment.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu May 29, 2014 10:29 pm

As you say, time will tell.

I think it was said at the time that the (Norwegian) signings were made more with the future in mind and that was with more than half an eye on the Championship. I don't think the right calibre players were available during the Jan window that would have made much difference to our season in any event. Any that were available were unlikely to want to come to Cardiff in the wake of the shambolic goings-on off the field.

Zaha was the real disappointment, a luxury player in a struggling and largely shapeless team. Fabio was starting to come good after a poor start and, Jones, like all of our strikers, suffered from lack of decent service and support.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Thu May 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Let's not get carried away. After all the hype there have been no new signings for 18 hours. Get it sorted Ole. Tan out. Oops sorry, wrong board.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum