Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed May 14, 2014 2:00 am

A good and fair article and I agree with most of it Gloves. I was sorry to see Malky go despite a dip in form but there is a caveat to that. It has to be said that his spending was a bit haphazard and that certainly cost us over the course of the season. The squad lacked depth and for somebody who had built a Championship winning side so shrewdly it seemed a strange turnaround in policy to start spunking large amounts of money on untried Premiership players (Caulker aside). Both Cardiff and Norwich suffered with this approach while Palace (post Holloway) and Hull prospered with buying more experienced Premiership talent or at least spending a lot less on untried players. Malky left something of a financial hangover and a squad that was ultimately lacking in key areas (left back, centre back, no cover for Medel, an inexperienced "star" striker to name but a few) that may have hung him too had he seen out the season.

Granted, Tan can take a fair portion of blame for off-field distractions and if he did let Malky and Moody run riot with the budget then that is his fault too (a fact he has at least acknowledged).

As for Ole, I can only describe the first part of his reign as, frankly, disastrous BUT the man clearly has talent on his CV and I firmly believe in continuity as a key factor in breeding success. So, let us see and hope lessons have been learnt all round by all concerned.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum