FA Officials pondering creation of a new league to accommodate premiership and championship youth and B teams

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Tue May 06, 2014 10:02 pm

In what sounds like a pretty good idea on paper but a bad one in practice, the football league are considering creating a new tier in the league system to accommodate top level youth teams. The two ideas being pondered at the moment include the creation of a new league in between league 2 and the conference premier, or pooling both leagues together and distributing the youth teams in amongst them.

Obviously, there are a number of problems. If it's a whole new league there's a potential embarrassment of a league two side being relegated into a league full of 18 year olds. The other one is just how far a youth team would be able to climb - Is it far if Chelsea's youth team end up playing in the championship through consistent promotions?

There does need to be a greater link between home grown youth and professional play incorporation, but I think this plan needs some serious work.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27289819
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 am

I think the idea is that it would replace the development squad leagues that bridge the gap between u-18 and senior level.

It works in Spain, e.g. Real Madrid’s U-23 squad, known as 'Castilla’, play in the second division currently with the likes of Real Zaragoza, Deportivo La Coruna and Real Mallorca. (They are not allowed to play in the Spanish equivalent of the FA Cup though and cannot be promoted to La Primera alongside their senior team.)

However, there is a much greater number of professional clubs in the English pyramid, and many of them exist by being able to produce players that are sold-on. The Premier League clubs already have too many players in their squads, who arguably should be playing at a lower level rather than being ‘hoarded’. The current loan system is testimony to this surplus.

Also, the interest in ‘reserve team’ football would be far less than the pride/passion in your local team.

Thumbs down from me.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 am

Totally agree with the G-Man
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed May 07, 2014 3:30 am

Yeah I was aware it happened in Spain, Barcelonas B side are a very popular choice for team in FM FA Officials pondering creation of a new league to accommodate premiership and championship youth and B teams 692773407

I think if they did it they would have to allow the teams to be both promoted and relegated - it would feel cheap if the league champions actually finished 4th, while another team that finished 14th got relegated. But as I said, Chelsea have a fantastic youth team that's probably far far too good for even league 1 and that causes balancing issues.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Wed May 07, 2014 4:03 am

Terrible idea, but it keeps the big boys happy so who cares...  FA Officials pondering creation of a new league to accommodate premiership and championship youth and B teams 2925389657 
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Wed May 07, 2014 5:13 am

Yeah, absolutely rubbish idea.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum