View previous topic View next topic Go down

BIGGWYNRAM
BIGGWYNRAM
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 630
Posting Flair : 10

PostBIGGWYNRAM Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:31 am

Oh my God, it's like a vegetable patch, can't see too many football games being attracted down there.
n
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:45 am

It's never been right from the start.

I played a charity football match there back in April and it was more suited to mud-wrestling. Worse than a Sunday League pitch.

WRU will probably copy Cardiff Blues and get a 3G/astro surface eventually.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:20 am

I think it's only football really stopping big stadiums all resorting to an AstroTurf pitch.

- Cheaper to Maintain
- Drains better in high rainfall
- Safer, wouldn't crumble under your feet like turf (especially wet turf) can

I think the only problem is they don't like how the ball bounces, but surely you can adapt to that?
Berwyn
Academy Player
User Points : 32
Posting Flair : 0

PostBerwyn Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:34 am

I don't think they need a plastic pitch. What they have to do is just budget for the £100k it cost to change it. If they've got to change it 4 times a year then just budget for that. It might sound like a lot of money but in the scheme of things it's not a big amount. I bet if you looked at the costings then they spend more moeny on things far less important. Trouble is now, because they started out not wanting to spend on the pitch they've got used to that and now it's hard for them to stick their hands in their pockets.

They like to think the Mill Stad is a world class stadium but it never has been simply because they skimp on the most important part - the pitch.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Red614 wrote:I think it's only football really stopping big stadiums all resorting to an AstroTurf pitch.

- Cheaper to Maintain

I think the only problem is they don't like how the ball bounces, but surely you can adapt to that?

The first pitches, if I remember, QPR & Luton, were awful, but the technology has improved over the years and I think the bounce of the ball has been pretty much sorted out now. I watched a Scottish game on Sky recently and didn't realise that it was being played on an artificial pitch until well through the first half.

I am still not sure about artificial pitches for rugby, because of the impact nature of the sport. Certainly short and longer term injuries to knees, ankles and shoulders are a major problem in the NFL, where most stadia have artificial surfaces.
Denzil
Academy Player
User Points : 76
Posting Flair : 0

PostDenzil Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 am

used to love a mud patch of a field when i was playing rugby.loads of scrums and lineouts......and everyone else was dragged down to my shambling pace:sniggers: 
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:56 am

TDA wrote:
Red614 wrote:I think it's only football really stopping big stadiums all resorting to an AstroTurf pitch.

- Cheaper to Maintain

The first pitches, if I remember, QPR & Luton, were awful, but the technology has improved over the years and I think the bounce of the ball has been pretty much sorted out now.  I watched a Scottish game on Sky recently and didn't realise that it was being played on an artificial pitch until well through the first half.

I am still not sure about artificial pitches for rugby, because of the impact nature of the sport.  Certainly short and longer term injuries to knees, ankles and shoulders are a major problem in the NFL, where most stadia have artificial surfaces.
I agree - no PLASTICS.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:01 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
TDA wrote:

- Cheaper to Maintain

The first pitches, if I remember, QPR & Luton, were awful, but the technology has improved over the years and I think the bounce of the ball has been pretty much sorted out now.  I watched a Scottish game on Sky recently and didn't realise that it was being played on an artificial pitch until well through the first half.

I am still not sure about artificial pitches for rugby, because of the impact nature of the sport.  Certainly short and longer term injuries to knees, ankles and shoulders are a major problem in the NFL, where most stadia have artificial surfaces.
I agree - no PLASTICS.
FFS.......MILLENIUM STADIUM PITCH 692773407 
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum