View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 am

Wondered if anybody heard the Radio Wales phone-in tonight - mainly about the reception Giggs might get tomorrow.
There was a bloke on called Cyncoed Slumdog - ridiculous name but he was brilliant. We could do with somebody like him contributing on this board.
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 am

That was Cyncoed's Slumdog. I made out the apostrophe.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:33 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:Wondered if anybody heard the Radio Wales phone-in tonight - mainly about the reception Giggs might get tomorrow.
There was a bloke on called Cyncoed Slumdog - ridiculous name but he was brilliant. We could do with somebody like him contributing on this board.
Wahey!
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:19 am

I, and the majority of people around me, booed him, then sang songs about him shagging his brother's wife.

Good enough for the fucker imo. He's only Welsh when he wants.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 pm

I applauded him for his talent/achievements as a footballer.

Given that he shagged his brother’s wife I do not feel the same way about him as a person – what a complete kent.

You have to wonder how Welsh he really feels. He left Cardiff at 6 years of age, so he has spent 30+ years in the north-west of England.

He played for England schools at U-15 level (since it is based on residency), and theoretically if he had stayed on that path he would have 100+ caps for the England senior side, given their lack of left wingers over the past 20 years.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:58 pm

There was no doubt, as soon as he broke into the Man U team that he would have walked into the England side, so, something has to be said about his choice to play for Wales, not England at senior level............a bad decison with hindsight perhaps, but I wonder how much it really tells us about how Welsh Giggs felt at the time?

At that time the young Giggs was wrapped up in cotton wool by Sir Alex and the media was not allowed anywhere near him for years. Given Ferguson's stated dislike of England, one has to wonder to what extent his influence pushed Giggs towards Wales?
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:51 pm

TDA wrote:There was no doubt, as soon as he broke into the Man U team that he would have walked into the England side, so, something has to be said about his choice to play for Wales, not England at senior level............a bad decison with hindsight perhaps, but I wonder how much it really tells us about how Welsh Giggs felt at the time?

At that time the young Giggs was wrapped up in cotton wool by Sir Alex and the media was not allowed anywhere near him for years.  Given Ferguson's stated dislike of England, one has to wonder to what extent his influence pushed Giggs towards Wales?
He has never had an option of playing for England. He is Welsh with Welsh parents and grandparents (perhaps one of them of African descent?). England sniffed around about him playing for their youth team but he wasn't able to as the residential qualification doesn't exist between the Home Associations.
His father (Danny Wilson) was an outside half with Cardiff Rugby Club who moved north to play League for Salford which is how Ryan got up there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Wilson_(rugby)
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:03 am

I remember Danny Wilson also playing baseball for (I think) Caerau.

So far as I am aware, Ryan Giggs did play for England at U-16 level and I was under the impression that that had opened the door.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 am

Ryan Giggs was born in Wales so there should have never been any question of him playing for england
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:16 am

Right enough, but I thought there had been a (grand) parental qualification involved, which was how he played for England..........
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 am

TDA wrote:I remember Danny Wilson also playing baseball for (I think) Caerau.

So far as I am aware, Ryan Giggs did play for England at U-16 level and I was under the impression that that had opened the door.
He played for England schoolboys which simply depended on where your school was located but was ineligible to represent England at any other level.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:56 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
TDA wrote:I remember Danny Wilson also playing baseball for (I think) Caerau.

He played for England schoolboys which simply depended on where your school was located but was ineligible to represent England at any other level.
Yes, thanks, so I see. I hadn't appreciated that before.
SteWells
SteWells
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1655
Posting Flair : 100

PostSteWells Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:22 am

G-ster wrote:I applauded him for his talent/achievements as a footballer.....
We've had lots of talented footballers playing here, do you clap them all? Did you clap Rooney? Did you clap Touré when Man City came here? ...

There's no question that Giggs has had a fantastic club career, but why would you applaud that?? He's done nothing for Cardiff, and only turned up for Wales when it suited him. Add in his off the field activities, and I really don't see why anyone clapped him.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:26 am

I didn't boo, but found it strange that so many applauded him.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:49 pm

SteWells wrote:
G-ster wrote:I applauded him for his talent/achievements as a footballer.....
We've had lots of talented footballers playing here, do you clap them all? Did you clap Rooney? Did you clap Touré when Man City came here? ...

There's no question that Giggs has had a fantastic club career, but why would you applaud that?? He's done nothing for Cardiff, and only turned up for Wales when it suited him. Add in his off the field activities, and I really don't see why anyone clapped him.
I'm a fan of football as well as City, and 20-plus years at the highest level for one club is pretty special.

I've been known to briefly applaud an opposition goal if it's exceptional too.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum