View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:25 am

I'm handing you a chance on a plate to day 'I told you so' if Sunday goes wrong...

Here's the scenario - Malky has been sacked. In typical Tan fashion, he has replaced him with a completely unknown manager - You. Faced with the same squad that Malky possessed, how will you enter Sundays game with the best possible chance?

I'd stick with my favourite formation at this point, the 4-2-3-1 with Medel and Gunnarrson in defensive midfield. The attacking midfield three would be Noone, Mutch and Campbell, with Odemwingie up front.

We're going to be defending a lot as is Swansea's style, so Medel and Gunnarrson I'd want as the enforcers. Swansea play a soft game, passing the ball around and waiting for a space. I'd want the defence and the two DM's to stop that, to heavily mark their man and bully their man on the ball as much as possible, they don't like pressure. Michu is the danger man so I'd want Medel on his heels everywhere he went ready to stick the boot in if necessary. Don't concede free kicks in silly areas but beyond that don't worry too much, getting stuck in knocks their confidence, I've seen it before.

Once we get the ball, put your foot down and charge the goal. Keep the ball on the ground, we're no good in the air. Get it to Noone or Campbell who will race it down the wings and hopefully put it on a plate for Odemwingie. Swansea's full backs, I see as a weak link so I think a wing attack is best, although depending on how it goes their centrebacks have looked suspicious when facing someone with a bit of skill so Kim could be a sub option.

So that's my thoughts. Bully them, tackle hard and when we get the ball get it down the other side of the pitch before they realise what's happening. Then cross your fingers you don't start getting text messages from Tan.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:20 am

if medel can take instructions then so can theo-cath. i would make it quite clear that he is first and foremost a full back and not to forget it. don't give them space down the right
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 am

Anything but hoofball,
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:31 am

I would start with Rudy & Mason upfront and make sure Ashley Williams got a physical battering........I'd also play Noone & Kim wide and pushed up to give the FBs something to think about.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:58 am

Red I disagree with your selection more than your tactics. You've pushed Campbell as a winger before today but he just doesn't strike me as a wide player (I'm not sure what he does strike me as at the moment!).
I think Saturday is Bellamy day - he's had plenty of rest lately and against the JB's he may well see it as one of his last chances to shine on a big stage so I would play him wide right. His work rate would also help with Swansea's wide threat. Mutch is fast becoming our main man in centre midfield with Whitts on the left and Kim able to replace him or Bellamy on the flank. I also think it's time for Mason or Maynard to be looked at. Can't agree with TDA about Rudy up front as I think he's barely Championship standard and will encourage hoof ball if he's on the pitch.
Red - thank you for appointing me Manager but I'm afraid this means you won't be getting your way with team selection.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 am

Campbell is our fastest player, in a game where id be pushing for high energy counter attack play he seemed logical. I put him on the wing because his inability to hold the ball would be put under less scrutiny - all I want him to do is get behind the fullback and sprint the ball down the pitch. He's very good at that, as he showed against Man City. His control and finishing is questionable while Odemwingies limited chances have indicated he's much more suited to a lone forward role. Maynard and Mason are two other possibilities, but neither have premiership pedigree like Odemwingie's. Not a game to test a rookie in my opinion. Gestede I didn't even think about, he's decent in the air but abysmal down on the deck, and I want to nip in the bud any hoofball.

Whitts is another victim of the tactics. Whitts is potentially our slowest player and that's affected us in the past regarding our countering ability. Noone, while nothing special, would look like Usain Bolt compared to Whittingham. It's not a critiscism so to speak, he would be a regular starter elsewhere whenever I think we can control a game better as his passing is still too class, but he's too slow for the role I want in this format.

Bellamy screams impact sub to me. Passion and desire, but possibly a little bit short on legs nowadays.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend

Postdavewebber65 Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 pm

will go with rudy up front with instructions to let ashley williams know he is playing, odemwingie. out wide with bellers, whitts in the middle.
would reinforce what i said earlier about tc being a fullback. mason, maynard and kim on the bench
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Vinnie Tans Tache wrote:Anything but hoofball,
Only just spotted this. Let's hope Vinnie never becomes Cardiff manager, as somehow I feel his team talks comprising purely of 'don't hoof the ball!' Wouldn't have much positive effects... How would YOU take on Swansea? 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:08 pm

I also still don't get that many people are trying to deal with Campbell's lack of goals by bringing in 7 goals in 53 games Gestede. The fact he's tall is really the only thing I see going for him. We're trying to hatchet him into the formation as opposed to changing the formation to suit a different style.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend

Postdavewebber65 Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:44 pm

might as well play without a striker if we go for hoof and hope. so it is outlawed
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend

Postdavewebber65 Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm

odemwingie is the better striker, but think we could use him out wide on this occasion. other strikers like joe will always have minimal experience as we do not have any rotation within the squad.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:23 am

A couple of flashbangs and a selection of sharp garden tools How would YOU take on Swansea? 4228682415
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum