View previous topic View next topic Go down

jamesbarnett39
jamesbarnett39
Academy Player
User Points : 98
Posting Flair : 10
http://www.james-barnett.co.uk

Postjamesbarnett39 Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Everyone is bemoaning (Twitter, Facebook, Forums) Malky's tactics and Im inclined to agree.

I have just watched the games so far again and its true, even if I wanted to deny it on a solid defensive basis, we are not threatening at all. Well we are but at the level of a puppy with no teeth. Although we create chances here and there we are not in any way, shape of form controlling games which is worrying at home especially.

We need to control them, score and then revert to type and try and hold on to the win or at least get a draw and put points on the board. Yesterday, disallowed goal aside, it was like we were playing for a 0-0 and if we managed to get a goal by some miracle then it was more luck than anything.

I suggest the following in the future and it will shock some but I think its necessary if we are to switch things around otherwise I can seriously see Malky facing the boot soon if a couple of wins don't come our way. Tan will demand results considering the money invested in the transfer window.

Marshall

Catherine   Caulker   Turner   Taylor

Kim   Medel   Gunnarsson

Odemwingie   Campbell   Bellamy

This formation is what Swansea have used and mastered. They can control play, use the two defensive midfielders as metronomes to dictate play and then play it forward when needs be to start an attack but they retain possession mostly and only strike when an opening is present. It makes sense. Both Medel and Gunnarsson are good enough to break up play and control it with the defenders before linking up with Kim or the two wide players, Bellamy and Odemwingie, and creating an attack.

I think this is something Malky needs to try at home at least to get some positive play going on a more consistent basis. If I remember, Swansea deployed Borini down the middle which is why I've gone with Campbell instead of Cornelius or Gestede. His higher work rate alongside Bellamy and Odemwingie who both harass defenders will mean their defence will have a tough time trying to rebuild attacks.

What do you think?
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm not sure our players are good enough to compete as a midfield 3 against the best teams in the PL. Gunnars and Kimbo have been routinely muscled out, which is a surprise considering the Championship is supposed to be more physical.

There are also doubts being expressed about Bellamy's effectiveness at this level at his age.

I certainly echo your concerns, but I see no obvious solution with the players we have. I also wait to see how we cope against the lesser teams. Fulham will be interesting.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I have to agree James we have largely been toothless in our attacking football, and like I said in another thread, we've been largely ineffective with a lone striker since we started using the formation the last ten games of last season.

Of the top of my head, if I remember this rightly, over the latest fifteen games we have:

Drawn nine times
Lost three times
Won three

I know that's over two leagues of a different quality but you can still analyse the tactics.

So although I agree it's a problem James, I don't agree with your solution.

Partly due to the fact that Malky tries to play this tactic anyway in a fluid 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Reality is, we rarely get out of the defensive formation at the moment.

Also I think Gunner needs dropping and whitts certainly doesn't.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Wait, what? Four points from three games against Manchester City, Everton and Tottenham? In our debut season? And you reckon that's not good enough? Frankly that's ridiculous.

As I said last night, I'll be the first to admit I don't like our playstyle. It's nerve jangling and a little boring, but what can't be denied is thus far it has brought results. For that reason it should stay at long as it continues to be successful. We have averaged something like 40% posession at home against tough opponents, but if you remember away at Hull we suddenly had 55% posession. It indicates that maybe Malky sees taking on Hull City is a little easier than taking on Manchester City. We haven't faced many weak opponents yet so we can't predict what Malky might do against them. If we end up in the same defensive mindset against Crystal palace, then maybe I'll rethink what I'm saying. But right now you're being ridiculous.

Key problems -

- You dropped Whitts. From our last four goals (one disallowed), Whitts scored one of them and assisted the other three. His goal was a world class finish, and his set piece delivery has had the best defences in the country needing new shorts. And you want him dropped?

- You kept Bellamy, and worse put him in an even more advanced position. The same Bellamy that was outpaced, refused to shoot and quite often gave the ball away by being too lazy with passes. At least further back where he is playing now he is able to do a job supporting the right back purely by harassment, but right now he's a massive hindrance up front.

- When overwhelmed by an oppositions quality, you don't respond by making your formation more attacking. That's like trying to fix a crumbling wall by taking more bricks out. As I said against Crystal Palace or Sunderland more attacking threat would be nice to see, but against our opponents this far it would leave us needing counselling.

For the sake of not being completely critical, I'd still prefer a 4-1-2-2-1 once we are able to. This is only once we have the players to truly deploy it successfully however. Two new 'proper' wingers, a new left back and some more centrebacks. My midfield would be Medel, Kim and Whitts. This formation wouldn't work yet though , for the same reason yours wouldn't. We haven't got the quality to take on these teams head on just yet.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 am

The idea has merit, but the lack of quality wingers renders it unworkable at the moment.

I think with the current squad the best line-up started yesterday.

Things can be freshened up now and then with the introduction of Mutch or Odemwingie, but the first XI is going to be fairly static.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 am

i don't give a fried wank for the combination as long as professional sportsmen get a shot on target or referees red card a goalie for handball outside the area
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:52 am

davewebber65 wrote:i don't give a fried wank for the combination as long as professional sportsmen get a shot on target or referees red card a goalie for handball outside the area
Is 4-3-3 the way forward? 692773407 

Spurs definitely had a twelfth man in Clattenburg
jamesbarnett39
jamesbarnett39
Academy Player
User Points : 98
Posting Flair : 10
http://www.james-barnett.co.uk

Postjamesbarnett39 Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:44 am

davewebber65 wrote:i don't give a fried wank for the combination as long as professional sportsmen get a shot on target or referees red card a goalie for handball outside the area
Is 4-3-3 the way forward? 692773407 Is 4-3-3 the way forward? 692773407 Is 4-3-3 the way forward? 692773407 
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum