View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:06 am

I have always enjoyed going to the cinema, but am often left a little less than satisfied. The hobbit was the last film we saw and prior to that we saw skyfall. While we enjoyed both, they didn't quite live up to the hype, in our opinions.

Anyway, in the last week or so we have watched the girl with the dragon tattoo and then the machinist, both on the box. So it has led me to the conclusion that maybe what I ought to do is let the hype of new releases die down and listen to what others have to say. I don't think either of those films needed to be seen on the big screen, certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment.

Guess I'm just looking for others opinions, on these films and others that you may recommend. Hope this doesn't just sink, I love films.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 am

Skyfall, although enjoyable, was massively overhyped and I refuse to see The Hobbit as I detested the first three Lord of the Ringos films, overblown, badly acted mush the lot of them.

Argo was enjoyable thriller, can recommend that and I don't think you'd miss out too much by not seeing it on the big screen.

Lincoln was very wordy but engrossing, more theatre than film I'd say. It's like an episode of The Wire focussed entirely on the Mayor's office, set 200 years ago. Daniel Day-Lewis is exceptional though and really carries the film.

Warm Bodies, was, ok. A missed opportunity for a great film and instead an average one.

You'll like Django Unchained if you like Tarantino, you won't if you don't. I don't, didn't like it much although some great moments and some good performances (some fuckin' dire ones too mind)
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 am

Sky atlas looks interesting - directed by the wachowski brothers so it should be worth a go
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 am

Rhys wrote:Sky atlas looks interesting - directed by the wachowski brothers so it should be worth a go

Do you mean 'Cloud Atlas' Rhys? A film thread. 4228682415 A film thread. 4268314175 Based on the "unfilmable" David Mitchell novel and by all accounts was hugely overlooked for awards this year. I'm off to see that on Sunday A film thread. 1525230823
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostWelshineire Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 am

DDL is so selective over his films that Lincoln should be very good. Will see that in the cinema. Heated mixed reviews of cloud atlas on film2013, so not sure about that. Is the lone ranger out later this year?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Lincoln... Long, going nowhere, limited plot film that rattled by... Worth a watch but not if you're looking for excitement... Saw Judd Apatow's 'This is 40' tonight... It's been panned... I enjoyed it, laughed lots... My missus loved it, she was hysterical... I now know she hates me A film thread. 692773407
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostWelshineire Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Saw "the watch" last night. Thought that was quite entertaining, made me laugh anyways.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:11 pm

I just wait for films to come onto Sky Movies, like you say, the hype dies down and you can make your own opinion.
The Lad
The Lad
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1275

PostThe Lad Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Arkay v2.0 wrote:

You'll like Django Unchained if you like Tarantino, you won't if you don't. I don't, didn't like it much although some great moments and some good performances (some fuckin' dire ones too mind)
Tarantino's accent, christ. Nearly ruined the film. Stick to directing. Great film though, DiCaprio was electric.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty this week. A bit underwhelming IMO, yeah the torture scenes showed something barely seen in film and it shows the effects obsession can have on people, but it just felt a little empty and few of the characters intrigued me.

finally saw American Psycho too, pretty different to what I expected but it was worth it, so many great scenes. Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum