View previous topic View next topic Go down

Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 am

The media are going down the line of a "split in the union" a divide between Scotland and England, but there are of course four countries in the United Kingdom. What will happen if Scotland decide to bugger orf?

Will we still be called the United Kingdom?
What will happen to the union jack?
Will the weather forecast map exclude Scotland?
Will the Scots be made to point their TV aerials the other way?

It's a flipping minefield and no mistake.
Chinese Redbird
Chinese Redbird
Academy Player
User Points : 52
Posting Flair : 0

PostChinese Redbird Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am

in china we only here of england.

what is scotland?
Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:00 am

Chinese Redbird wrote:in china we only here of england.

what is scotland?

Never mind all that bollocks, what about the weather?
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm

Happy Days wrote:The media are going down the line of a "split in the union" a divide between Scotland and England, but there are of course four countries in the United Kingdom. What will happen if Scotland decide to bugger orf?

Will we still be called the United Kingdom?
What will happen to the union jack?
Will the weather forecast map exclude Scotland?
Will the Scots be made to point their TV aerials the other way?

It's a flipping minefield and no mistake.

It certainly is and I do wonder if the average McScot has thought through the implications of independence. Right now though, my brains can't compute what time it even is which means I've not much time left in this world...in other words, I'm going to bed. To be continued...
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I still find it ludicrous they are adamant they are financially viable as an individual entity. As part of the UK Scotland is one if the most powerful countries in the world. Without it? They're just a tiny little island with no valuable natural resources and a lack of national connections.

I also think they haven't realised what sort of damage they could so to the country immediately. Very, very quickly they have to solve problems like they have no Royal Mail, most food importing from the UK would stop and all the problems with sharing a border with a country that would now require you to present your passport. Which links to the other problem of how exactly are you going to enforce border control without investing literally hundreds of millions in sticking guard booths on every single road linking England and Scotland?

I honestly believe it's this 'stop calling us England!' Mentality that is also sometimes used by Wales but taken to a whole new ridiculous level. The UK offer international power and wealth, but Scotland want to throw it away simply for their pride.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 pm

i cannot comment on the financial viability of scotland outside the uk as i do not have any figures to hand.
it does however seem utter ridiclous for us to remain responsible for their national security. either they become independant with the duties that goes with it or they stay part of the united kingdom. maybe the scots want the best of both worlds, their independance and us to pick up the tab for it
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:45 pm

I stand for UDI for Leckwith... We lead the World in pavement excrement and teenage pregnancy...and we grow more attic skunk per capita than anywhere else in the World south of Bargoed....

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Alex Salmond is trying to steamroller through his legacy to Scotland and what a disaster it would be.

He is hoping for the best of all worlds, he wants the the oil revenues, but still piggy backing on the rest of the UK for those areas he doesn't fancy taking responsibility for.

He is trying to introduce votes for 16 year olds, as he sees that age group as easier to sell the promised land to. A bit of anti-English propaganda tends to be more readily accepted by these youngsters.

Furthermore, he is trying to skew the single question into what is effectively a double negative, so it is not clear whether the voter needs to answer yes or no to the choice they want. The Electoral Commission is looking at this at the moment, but apparently has no power to change the wording on the ballot papers. The UK if Scotland leave 3392635135

I have close ties to Scotland and although full of National pride, many, many people do not trust Alex Salmond. For that reason alone, I believe that he won't get the vote through this time.
Uwe Seeler made me cry
Uwe Seeler made me cry
Academy Player
User Points : 227
Posting Flair : 30

PostUwe Seeler made me cry Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:07 pm

SNP is entirely based on "I want my cake and eat it". What happened with RBS has made sensible Scots really ponder. If they had been independent they would have been finished.

Plaid by comparison are just hopeless fantasists who never really hope for independence
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:59 pm

But there's still the all important question about the weather......

I think it will stay on the map, if only because the BBC will still be the BBC, which rolls pleasantly off the tongue and can be shortened (or lengthened) neatly to the Beeb, rather than becoming the EW&NIBC which is a mouthful in anyone's language.

And the forecaster can gleefully point out all the s**t weather happening in Scotland.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 pm

With the Union Jack, if the blue gets removed there is the opportunity to put in the Welsh dragon in the background at last.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum