RBMB Kind-of Official Post Campbell Transfer Discussion!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 am

Three main questions for discussion -

1) Now we have a new striker, what other positions would you like to see gain new numbers? What 'type' of player would you like?

2) would you like to see major changes to our formation or playstyle if our transfer activity allows us to bring in the right players?

3) Anyone still believe a 'star' is still coming? Where would you like to see this 'star' fit in given the choice?

And my answers to kick things off -

1) The probably very common answer of a new right back first off, no surprises. I'd also like another striker if at all possible. Depending on our formation, we're going to need at least three first team, preferably premiership quality strikers ready and waiting to go. I'm not counting Bellamy, I would like to see him go back out wide left once our numbers allow. That means we have Maynard and Campbell who will probably lead the charge. Helguson is getting too old, Gestede isn't convincing and mason seems to of worryingly faded away. We need one more, who is also preferably a different type of striker to Maynard and Campbell (Tall, basically). I'd also like to see another right winger show up, the reason following.

2) Yes, I'm still stricking with I would love us to transform into a hyper attacking 4-3-3 if it is possible. One striker, two winger/striker hybrids up front. Behind them you have Whittingham controlling the play (and who also can catch a team on the break with a lobbed ball to the wings), a box to box like Kim who will link the midfield and attack, and a more defensively minded midfielder capable of supporting the defence as well as dictating play with Whitts. On the left wing we have Bellamy who will pretty much lock that position down until he retires, and then Noone who in theory will act almost as an understudy to him. On the right I'd nominate Smith but like Bellamy he's getting very close to packing it in, but unlike the left there's no obvious replacement. Conway could probably but i would still like to see someone arrive who can really do some proper damage out there.

3) I'm not convinced we're going to get one, but i still have my fingers crossed. If it does happen id like to see a central midfielder arrive. In my mind a player like Giggs is perfect, a true controller of a match who can make all the difference to a game with his passing.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 am

Malky seems to be favouring the two-upfront option more and more and I think we might well see Tommy Smith becoming more of a target man. He's skillful, good in the air and makes good choices with his distribution. In the absence of getting a Charlie Austin, I can see Tommy leading the attack with Bellamy playing off him.........a combination we haven't seen yet, but a mouth-watering one nonetheless.

Campbell has arrived effectively as a replacement for Maynard and also as a "Bellamy-alternative" in my formation. I would expect Joe Mason to get over this quiet patch and remain another option.

Similarly, I would expect Mutch to improve, provided he can remain fit. He hasn't done so since he came back, but sometimes it can take a while to pick it up again. Craig Conway is a good case in point.......horrible injury and slow recovery, but has worked hard and looks one of the fittest players in the squad. I know he is not one of Red's favourites, but I believe he has done a pretty good and unspectacular job these past half dozen games or so.

All in all, I am happy with the squad since the arrival of Campbell and emergence of Nugent, but a top notch right back would be the icing on the cake.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 am

Nah formations are fine. They don't need to change at the minute, they've got us this far.

We need a really top notch centre back, a right back, left back, striker, and a combative, physical, destructive midfielder. But all these can wait until the summer, when I could see us signing Jack Hunt, Tom Lees and Darren Bent plus more (I would LOVE Victor Wanyama but Tan would have to pull out all the stops!).

And no, don't think we will see much more activity. Lappin may come in on a 5 month contract simply as a back-up.
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am

1:
An attacking right back. Jack Hunt will do very nicely
A centre-half who can bring the ball out of defence and keep pace with the quicker forwards out there.
A forward in the Jay Bothroyd mold

2:
4-5-1/4-3-3 is de rigueur right now and I think fits our squad. Bellamy/Smith/Noone/Campbell can rotate in the wide forward positions. Helguson/Campbell/Bellamy can play up front but we'd need the forward and defenders I've asked for above to really make it work.

3:
Liverpool don't have as much money as they used to and finally seem to have realised you can get better value for money looking abroad. So where does that leave Tom Ince? Ripe for a big money bid from Mr MacKay, that's where!
Playing for us in the Prem, once he's helped us there, would showcase his talents for the big move he's looking for.

The lower end of the Primera Liga pay wages similar to the Championship and we've seen Swansea plunder Spain. Find someone out there Malky!
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am

Sergio Baptiste is up for grabs at Blackpool, he's pretty versatile and has Prem experience?
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Unless Jack Hunt can be acquired for a reasonable sum, I wouldn't be that bothered if no-one else is brought in.

The club's scouting resources should be preparing for next season.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 pm

G-ster wrote:Unless Jack Hunt can be acquired for a reasonable sum, I wouldn't be that bothered if no-one else is brought in.

The club's scouting resources should be preparing for next season.

I agree. RBMB Kind-of Official Post Campbell Transfer Discussion! 1525230823 I think the present squad is good enough to stay in the top two, come what may.

At an initial £600K, Campbell was a cracking acquisition for the Championship campaign. No point paying inflated prices in Jan, but the summer will be critical in building a squad good enough to stay in the Premiership.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum