View previous topic View next topic Go down

Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1927
Posting Flair : 70

PostCaer y Glyn Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:01 am

Most folk think we can play so much better than we have done for much of this season. An incredible sequence of results despite poor performances so often and a hefty dose of good luck though how much longer can that persist?

One complaint has been the possible tactical weakness or inexperience in Malky's approach to setting up the team.

Frequent comments include. Whitts too deep, Bells out of position, overrun in the middle...

To strengthen the squad must be a good thing but surely we can expect so much more from the current squad?

Doesn't it begin with the formation? Simple tweaks could make a huge difference and by going to either 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with Bells out wide and Whitts further forward we could far more effective.

Tomorrow we should make a few changes and take the brakes off. If we do could start hammering average teams rather than just scraping by.

Marshall

Kev. Hudson. Turner. Taylor

Gunnar. Kim. Whitts

Tommy. Bells.
Joe

Go for it Malky. Win with style. Is it a formation issue? 833362651
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:11 am

No Noone!? One of our top scorers AND assisters? I don't mean to become the founder of the Noone fan club but as I just said he HAS to start whenever he can.

Saying that though simply put Noone wide left instead of Bellamy, then deploy Bellamy instead of Mason and I like the sound of that formation. I then might be tempted to move Bellamy to the right wing and put smith back to the bench, then play our 'new star striker' up front. Noone and Bellamy provide explosive pace, our striker puts it away.
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostCaer y Glyn Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 am

Noone explosive pace? Only Bells has that. Noone has been out of position for 3 months which has staunched his effectiveness but he has faded badly in the last month or so and seems to lack courage and confidence to take on defenders outside. If he went wide left and Bells wide right that would be worth trying but I do think Tommy could be a key man in the next few months.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 am

Being played it of position isn't his fault though, is it?
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostCaer y Glyn Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 am

No but i wonder if there was a reason why he was 3rd choice winger at Brighton?
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 am

CyG......you criticise Noone at your peril if within earshot of Red.... Is it a formation issue? 692773407

PS.....Welcome back, where have you been.....skiing?
Caer y Glyn
Caer y Glyn
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostCaer y Glyn Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 am

Skiing metaphorically TDA! Good to be back. I'm not a Noone knocker but I think we've over exaggerated his contribution at times and for the life of me I can't understand why he has been playing on the right wing? The formation thing is becoming an obsession. As much as I love Malky his set ups seem to militate against the kind of free flowing attacking football this squad is more than capable of delivering....and might well deliver before the season ends! Get Bells wide. Get Whitts forward. Get Kim into the middle of the park!
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 am

I think Malky's policy has been to keep it tight at the back at the expense of free-flowing attacking football. I think he might struggling to let that go even when we are starting to assemble a team with flair and more attacking prowess.

I agree with you both; I think Noone has been one of the players most likely to create something during games but he does tend to fade fast. 45mins each for Smith or Noone might just do the trick - rehabilitate Smith, let Noone run his socks off for a half and keep the opposition defenders on their toes.
Phil Blue/Red
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1550
Posting Flair : 130

PostPhil Blue/Red Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:24 am

Red614 wrote:No Noone!? One of our top scorers AND assisters? I don't mean to become the founder of the Noone fan club but as I just said he HAS to start whenever he can.

Saying that though simply put Noone wide left instead of Bellamy, then deploy Bellamy instead of Mason and I like the sound of that formation. I then might be tempted to move Bellamy to the right wing and put smith back to the bench, then play our 'new star striker' up front. Noone and Bellamy provide explosive pace, our striker puts it away.

MM has stopped selecting Noone for away games.
Needs to select a side which plays the ball on the deck and Whittingham further forward, not in front of the back four!
My team would be:

Marshall

MacNaughton (Only because there's nobody better)
Hudson
Turner
Taylor

Gunnarson
Mutch/Cowie

Noone
Whittingham
Kim Bo-Kyung

Bellamy

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum