Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 am

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84223&sid=4087f5d8736a451c59121383e4bbd5be

This thread has interested me somewhat as I know different people have different opinions.

Back in the our PM David Cameron was one of the most troublesome students around and his antics along with other members of the Bullingdon Club have been likened to those of the riots we saw last year.

These days most students want three things - fun, sex and alcohol. They aren't out to cause intentional trouble and rarely do. I've seen a few fights at university this year but thats the very very small minority in amongst a well behaved majority.

I usually find the people who criticise university students are the ones who are bitter than they never got in or that they failed due to their own misdemeanours. Im not slating everyone who never got into university as some people have other aspirations or do not want to go the university route or failed to get in and then turned their lives around completely.

Before university, I knew a bit of computing but not a lot because most of the pre university syllabus is just IT and not anything in depth. I've took the time to teach myself things about computing and university has helped me a lot to the extent I have my own websites and I have quite a bit of work lined up this summer. Its a bit sad people still hold these generalising views of students.

I understand there are those who go to university for a free ride and to drink to their hearts content at the cost of the taxpayer but you can't blame the students for that, blame the very people who put the system in place and let the weaker courses run.

Anyone else have an opinion? Would be nice to hear. Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 6591
Posting Flair : 303

Post•••••••™ Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:55 am

Baker? He's a kent coat
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 am

Bluebird since 1948 is a WUM Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 1525230823

PS I've got a Computer Science degree from Cardiff University, not just any old university I'll tell you, they are quite fussy who they let in ...

Last edited by •••••••™ on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 pm

RedIsTheWay wrote:http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84223&sid=4087f5d8736a451c59121383e4bbd5be

This thread has interested me somewhat as I know different people have different opinions.

Back in the our PM David Cameron was one of the most troublesome students around and his antics along with other members of the Bullingdon Club have been likened to those of the riots we saw last year.

These days most students want three things - fun, sex and alcohol. They aren't out to cause intentional trouble and rarely do. I've seen a few fights at university this year but thats the very very small minority in amongst a well behaved majority.

I usually find the people who criticise university students are the ones who are bitter than they never got in or that they failed due to their own misdemeanours. Im not slating everyone who never got into university as some people have other aspirations or do not want to go the university route or failed to get in and then turned their lives around completely.

Before university, I knew a bit of computing but not a lot because most of the pre university syllabus is just IT and not anything in depth. I've took the time to teach myself things about computing and university has helped me a lot to the extent I have my own websites and I have quite a bit of work lined up this summer. Its a bit sad people still hold these generalising views of students.

I understand there are those who go to university for a free ride and to drink to their hearts content at the cost of the taxpayer but you can't blame the students for that, blame the very people who put the system in place and let the weaker courses run.

Anyone else have an opinion? Would be nice to hear. Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651

My thoughts are that its not right that going to univesity is basically the only option for students following a levels - not everyone is made for university and some should go out and get an apprentiship or a job.

Im wondering if student culture is going to change slight next year when only those willing to pay 9k a year will go and all those who usually just go for a laugh/got nothing better to do won't bother. Also it maybe that students might commute to their local uni to save on living costs etc.

All adds to much more a serious/boring learning culture rather than a permanent party time!
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

In other news, STD's are set to plummet Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 1525230823 :laughingabit:
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:07 pm

RedIsTheWay wrote:http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84223&sid=4087f5d8736a451c59121383e4bbd5be

Nothing wrong with students. I come from a long line of them (my grandparents studied at Aberystwyth in the opening years of the last century). From my own experiences in the late 70s and what I've seen with my children (one graduated, one currently studying), I can't see much difference essentially, other than some externalities like the techno-paraphernalia they're permanently plugged into, and the basis of the finance.

The problem students have with other people's attitudes comes from them being an easily-identifiable group. They're an easy target for those outside that group - it's just too easy to label them as "bloody students", in the same way that people do with tourists or (one that I'm guilty of too much) cyclists. I'm sure there's some interesting parallels that could be drawn with the causes of racism - could make a good subject for some bloody student's thesis!

Sure, they push at the boundaries a lot, but it's to be expected and it's more of an age thing than being a student per se. It's part of life, and as you say, most are generally sensible - a few aren't, but no more so than any other section of society. The Bullingdon Club's problem (or other people's problem with them) wasn't so much because they were students, but because they were moneyed students from priveleged backgrounds at an elite institution which went out of its way to reinforce the sense of elitism and superiority.

Good luck with the studies, and keep pushing those boundaries. Now get on with some bloody work! Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 1525230823
Mickyredbirds
Mickyredbirds
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 640
Posting Flair : 20

PostMickyredbirds Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:59 pm

To be fair some of my mates are uni grades and they don't know what to do with it. If your Gunna go for uni go with the intention of progression? Example I work on the crime team in central London for ukba. I'm not a uni grad, but most of the people in my team are, it's a pretty well paid job but I've spent the 18-22 period traveling the world and getting the valid "life experience" when I get paid I don't have the student loan deductions so really I'm in a better position, they wont progress aby further than i eill!The opinion that uni students are wasters isn't correct but a vast majority are. I put this down to our society's view that you've failed if your not a uni grad. So kids are going to uni in "art" or media studies and ed up working in tescos! It's silly really, if you go to uni do it with the right frame of mind, and then shag and drink your way through the rest!!
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

I think it's all set to change when the 9K fees kick-in, people will definitely be thinking twice about it.

The old adage still applies, if you want to be a millionaire then do something you love ...
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:49 pm

•••••••™️ wrote:
All you need to know ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18492299

Im in Aberystwyth, in the top 3 for the lowest crime rates. Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651 Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651 Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend

Post•••••••™ Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 am

RedIsTheWay wrote:
•••••••™️ wrote:
All you need to know ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18492299

Im in Aberystwyth, in the top 3 for the lowest crime rates. Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651 Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651 Whats your view on students in modern Britain? (serious debate) 833362651

It's a good place to start a crime spree IMO, as everybody will be off their guards lol!
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum