Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am

Will your stance change? I have to admit I think my stance will change. Currently we can still be called the bluebirds as we have the bluebird on our badge, it is right there up alongside the name of this forum 'redbluebirds' but what if they decide to give us badges to choose from that dont feature the bluebird?

Then there will be no bluebirds, no red bluebirds, just dragons and s**t. It will be like real life Skyrim.

What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135 What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135 What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 am

I wouldn't blame anyone who decided that was the last straw as long as they didn't throw a hissy fit on the board every day and spend half their life on wind ups (we know who/where I mean).
However, in my case I've been watching over 50 years and I've seen so much crap come out of the Club in that time, nothing much bothers me any more. Also, to supporters as long in the tooth as me, the bluebird frenzy is more of a recent thing. I hang around with a large bunch of drunken geriatrics like myself who rarely use the bluebird description - the team/club are always the 'City'.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

Yes, I too would understand those who feel they have had enough. But here are my few pennys:

A) A club can't necessarily dictate a nickname to the fan base. It must be fan driven. So even if the bluebird were to disappear from the badge, I still think the fans will refer to the team as the bluebirds for the forseeable future.

B) Fan culture changes over time anyway, a point already made above. Britian, socially and culturally, is very different than it was, say 30 years ago. So is the average football fan and thus its surrounding culture.

C) I guess I would categorise myself as one of those fans that would say football is only entertainment at the end of the day. For me there are a lot more important things in life than Cardiff (even though football is my favourite hobby, it is still a hobby). So im not going to get too upset over the bluebird on the badge thing.

That's just my view and im sure there will be many who agree/disagree.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:I wouldn't blame anyone who decided that was the last straw as long as they didn't throw a hissy fit on the board every day and spend half their life on wind ups (we know who/where I mean).
However, in my case I've been watching over 50 years and I've seen so much crap come out of the Club in that time, nothing much bothers me any more. Also, to supporters as long in the tooth as me, the bluebird frenzy is more of a recent thing. I hang around with a large bunch of drunken geriatrics like myself who rarely use the bluebird description - the team/club are always the 'City'.

What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3874419067

Always been 'City' to me and I have no affection for the Bluebird at all, quite the opposite actually - I think it's a bit daft. I would totally understand if it was the last straw for some though, especially those who are fond of it.
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 am

I shall form an action group called Keep Cardiff's Bluebird and instigate a cunning campaign which will be me insulting people on the internet, putting a sticker on a pillar and sitting at home a lot, insulting more people on the internet. I will draw ludicrous comparisons with the miner's strike.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

What if they get rid of the bluebird? 692773407
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:50 am

I would probably just be disillusioned with British football if it happened and go and continue my interest in Dortmund. Sad but the day the Bluebird is removed altogether will be a major kick in the nuts for me. Its not the end of the world but I grew up following the bluebirds, not the dragons. Once the bluebird is gone then we'll be called the dragons constantly.
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:55 pm

[quote="The land of the sheep"]Will your stance change? I have to admit I think my stance will change. Currently we can still be called the bluebirds as we have the bluebird on our badge, it is right there up alongside the name of this forum 'redbluebirds' but what if they decide to give us badges to choose from that dont feature the bluebird?

Then there will be no bluebirds, no red bluebirds, just dragons and s**t. It will be like real life Skyrim.

What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135 What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135 What if they get rid of the bluebird? 3392635135 [/quote

Sometimes it is difficult to separate a general dissatisfaction with the direction that English football has taken and specific dissatisfaction with the direction that Cardiff City has taken.
We should consider ourselves lucky; two cup finals and generally challenging for promotion in our recent history. Football wise it beats the hell out of standing in the rain watching City play Aldershot in the old Division 4 rattling around an empty NP like peas in a tin.
We could have disappeared.
Club badges? Not really bothered - my favourite was the "Bluebird button"; probably because that was on the shirt when I first went to Ninian Park.
Whatever, the club do badge and shirt wise it will be up to the fans as to whether "Bluebirds" continues to be associated with the club.
It wouldn't be the first time a bird associated with a Football Club flew off. Still not entirely sure when the "Throstle" ceased to be associated with West Bromwich Albion to be replaced with the "Baggie."

The "Bluebird" is not even a UK species and, ironically, one of the three North American sub species is particularly red.

So if the club badge becomes a red and black Koi Carp it won't be the last straw.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Arkay v2.0 wrote:
Cyncoedslumdog wrote:I wouldn't blame anyone who decided that was the last straw as long as they didn't throw a hissy fit on the board every day and spend half their life on wind ups (we know who/where I mean).

Always been 'City' to me and I have no affection for the Bluebird at all, quite the opposite actually - I think it's a bit daft. I would totally understand if it was the last straw for some though, especially those who are fond of it.
I also grew up watching the 'City', and bluebirds was only an occasional nickname used in a chant when we scored, nothing more. Even if it disappears off the badge, it doesn't mean the nickname still can't be used. After all, the ayatollah has no official recognition anywhere, but it doesn't stop the fans repeating it ad nauseam.

The problem with tradition is you can get stuck in a rut. Change and evolution is good, if only because it makes life more interesting.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:29 pm

Arkay v2.0 wrote:

I have always felt that the bluebird was a bit wimpy anyway, but when I was a regular at Ninian Park, the team were often "you useless bunch of w*nkers"
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm

What worries me more is Saturday's dreadful black/red kit and sending the keeper out in all-pink. He surely never chose that himself. As Arkay said at the time, he looked like a dick. coat
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 pm

TDA wrote:I have always felt that the bluebird was a bit wimpy anyway, but when I was a regular at Ninian Park, the team were often "you useless bunch of w*nkers"
What if they get rid of the bluebird? 692773407
Was a wimpy bluebird the next best thing they could put on a badge, then?
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm

As long as we continue to play in red I'll be happy... coat

We love you, we love you, we love you
and where you play we follow, we follow, we follow
Cos we support the Koi Carp, the Koi Carp, the Koi Carp
for some that's hard to swallow, to swallow, to swallow

Last edited by Valley Trash on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 pm

The land of the sheep, now who is this?? Why change your name and avatar? I can't deal with these changes!!

Anyway, IF they change the Bluebird I won't stop supporting Cardiff City. As Rhys perfectly put it the club can't dictate the nickname to the fanbase. But it would be the next step towards my complete disillusion towards the professional game of football. (This would be approximately step 58 of a possible 100, which equals the end).
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Obama aka Pixie Lott
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum