To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:51 am

I present you this -

Cristiano Ronaldo ran 96 metres from his own penalty area to get into the end of a cross at the other end, in only ten seconds. The measurement may be off slightly somewhat, as the run was not straight and zig zagged some, and also the fact the clock only counts to the second (it could of been 10.9 seconds), but it's still nightly impressive considering its only tens of seconds off the world record. Even more impressively, he made this run after already having played 77 minutes of the game. Compare that to Usain Bolt, who went faster but only has to run roughly 40 seconds in an entire event.

It's damn impressive, you have to admit.http://twitter.com/FootballFunnys/status/275205224803733504/photo/1

Last edited by Red614 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 am

I have no idea why his name links to Littlewoods either. Blame Rhys.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Red614 wrote:I present you this -

Cristiano Ronaldo ran 96 metres from his own penalty area to get into the end of a cross at the other end, in only ten seconds. The measurement may be off slightly somewhat, as the run was not straight and zig zagged some, and also the fact the clock only counts to the second (it could of been 10.9 seconds), but it's still nightly impressive considering its only tens of seconds off the world record. Even more impressively, he made this run after already having played 77 minutes of the game. Compare that to Usain Bolt, who went faster but only has to run roughly 40 seconds in an entire event.

It's damn impressive, you have to admit.http://twitter.com/FootballFunnys/status/275205224803733504/photo/1

Did he score?

I can't argue that it is a great feat. Although anyone who has watched Jon Parkin play might suggest that not ALL footballers are great athletes.

I do think Big Jon might have managed that time though if he spotted a KFC Mega Bucket on the penalty spot on the other end of the pitch.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 am

No, he didn't score with that strike, unfortunately. He had already scored in the opening twenty minutes however. Though I think that can be forgiven, I'm not out of shape but I think if I got anywhere close to that speed my blood pressure would be that high I wouldn't be able to see the ball, let alone aim a shot on a goal.

It's not often I feel sorry for a multimillionaire, but sometimes it seems like Ronaldo could sprout wings and fly midmatch, only to discover
Messi had done that AND managed to harness the force to score goals without even touching the ball only a few hours before.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:20 am

Red614 wrote:No, he didn't score with that strike, unfortunately. He had already scored in the opening twenty minutes however. Though I think that can be forgiven, I'm not out of shape but I think if I got anywhere close to that speed my blood pressure would be that high I wouldn't be able to see the ball, let alone aim a shot on a goal.

It's not often I feel sorry for a multimillionaire, but sometimes it seems like Ronaldo could sprout wings and fly midmatch, only to discover
Messi had done that AND managed to harness the force to score goals without even touching the ball only a few hours before.

Useless fecker! To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes... 692773407

No he is obviously a great player and a great athlete. I'm not sure i would go as far as feeling sorry for him myself. He might live in Messi's shadow a bit but he is doing pretty well for himself financially and in terms of personal success and peer recognition. I am pretty sure a lot of other players would be glad to have the problem of only being thought of as about the second best player in the world.

Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:13 am

Red614 wrote:I have no idea why his name links to Littlewoods either. Blame Rhys.

To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes... 3392635135

To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes... 692773407

Just a little experiment - not sure it's working. Have to pay to keep this thing going somehow!
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 am

Toast Boy wrote:
Red614 wrote:No, he didn't score with that strike, unfortunately. He had already scored in the opening twenty minutes however. Though I think that can be forgiven, I'm not out of shape but I think if I got anywhere close to that speed my blood pressure would be that high I wouldn't be able to see the ball, let alone aim a shot on a goal.

Useless fecker! To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes... 692773407

No he is obviously a great player and a great athlete. I'm not sure i would go as far as feeling sorry for him myself. He might live in Messi's shadow a bit but he is doing pretty well for himself financially and in terms of personal success and peer recognition. I am pretty sure a lot of other players would be glad to have the problem of only being thought of as about the second best player in the world.

Ronaldo does seem to have a big problem with this. Messi has a sense of humility about him, while Ronaldo is ever the show pony. He probably cries himself to sleep that he is just the World's No.2. To those that argue footballers aren't real athletes... 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Yeah, athletes are competitive,you can never be successful in the game if you aren't. To be considered one of the best in the world is a compliment without a doubt, but to constantly be called the 'second beat in the world'? That will almost definetely almost become an insult eventually. You're so close to being the best, you're going to do everything you possibly can to get there. To carry out massively impressive feats like this but still hear '2nd best' everywhere? That's going to hurt.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum