View previous topic View next topic Go down

thewelshfella
thewelshfella
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7013
Posting Flair : 200

Postthewelshfella Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 am

Cardiff City Rule Out Loan Additions - Mistake?

Cardiff City will not be adding any loan players to the current squad, despite a defensive line lacking any depth and previously intimating they would look for loan options to supplement the squad.

With Anthony Gerrard departing, City swooped to land Matthew Connelly in from QPR. Connelly is primarily a centre-half but is able to cover at left or right back when required. The added versatility clearly led to Mackay sanctioning the departure of Welshman Darcy Blake - also adept at covering left-back, right-back or in a central role.

Ben Turner is currently out with a minor injury, so Connelly is playing centre-half for the Bluebirds. That meant that we had no defensive players with any real experience on the bench! Ben Nugent looks a deecnt prospect, and has an impressive physique for a youngster, however, it does seem a gamble for a promotion chasing squad!

Hudson and Turner look set to provide the centre-half partnership when available. Connelly will cover those, plus full-backs Taylor and McNaughton - the latter not unaccustomed to hamstring and back niggles over the past seasons. After that, Nugent appears to have the trust of his manager, while Dekel Keinan remains part of the squad and could be called upon.

Malky Mackay told WalesOnline:

"When it comes to defensive cover we are light, but that is just what it is, cover. To bring in someone to sit in the stands on loan just does not feel right for me."

"I`m prepared to go now with what we have. I would only think of bringing someone in if it was desperately required, if something remarkable happened on the injury front."

It seems likely that Mackay scoured the Premiership clubs for a candidate able to cover a full-back position, but, with managers of young potential Premiership players looking for assurances of gametime - Mackay was unable to guarantee that loanees would feature - and we will do without!

Avoidance of defensive injury and suspension will be crucial... Any problems could potentially hit us hard and waste all the attacking talent we possess by fielding a sub-strength defensive unit. Potentially the likes of Cowie or Gunnarsson could deputise as right-backs in emergencies - but for a club with serious promotion aspirations, you would expect more defensive cover!

Imo we need cover but I can see where Malky is coming from No loans coming in 4228682415

http://www.cardiff.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=292957
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 am

No loans coming in Smiley-shocked035
Albany Blue
Albany Blue
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1075
Posting Flair : 130

PostAlbany Blue Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:No loans coming in Smiley-shocked035

No loans coming in 692773407
thewelshfella
thewelshfella
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7013
Posting Flair : 200

Postthewelshfella Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 am

No loans coming in 692773407 love it
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 am

He indeed has a point per loaning simply for cover - no ones going to be interested in moving from a premiership bench to a championship bench. I believe we might see a flood of activity for defenders in January, acquiring preferably a new first team centre back and two full backs.

I don't like loan players anyway because there's always that doubt about their commitment. But it is indeed a gamble considering our short numbers.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum