View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Now the dusts settled from yesterday somewhat, I thought I'd share my own personal opinion on our season so far, and my expectations.

Our season hasn't started well, no one can deny that. Excluding Brighton, and flashes of a comeback last night, the teams performances have been very poor. Why 4 from
9 points isn't bad, it's not promotion form. That's just the facts, looking at past league tables.

But I'm not immediately screaming 'Malky out!' or declaring the rebrand is a complete failure, because that would be silly. We are afterall only three games in, and anything could happen. The team isn't fully match fit yet, no team is as it takes probably a few more games to really get to that level. There's also the problem of our attack and midfield have been completely reworked with new faces that obviously need time to fit Ito the jigsaw properly.

So what I'm saying is, I don't want to be tarred with the 'overeacting' brush because that's not it at all. I'm simply stating what is an obvious fact, we have not been good enough these last three games. The tactics have been depressing, and Helguson feel overused considering Mason has been very impressive and Velikonja has been given virtually no match time to truly give him a chance. It no doubt will improve, and there's still the fact while our tally has been poor so far a couple of wins could have us top the table, so I'm not worried. But I'm living in the present right now, and the last three games is not what I wanted to see from the squad, especially the stubbornness in formation Malky has displayed.

I'm not jumping ship on the team, I still believe the season is ours to take. Our squad is full of brilliant talents, they just desperately needed the wake up call that hopefully yesterday gave them.
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Red614 wrote:Now the dusts settled from yesterday somewhat, I thought I'd share my own personal opinion on our season so far, and my expectations.

I'm not jumping ship on the team, I still believe the season is ours to take. Our squad is full of brilliant talents, they just desperately needed the wake up call that hopefully yesterday gave them.

I agree; It's not wise to make judgments until a sufficient number of games have passed. Teams need time to gel. I'm not sure about the "brilliant talents" bit, mind. Just to clarify 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Whitts is the best player in the championship, Mason possibly the finest young striker. Marshall is one of the most solid goalkeepers, Mutch could see England call-ups in his future if he works hard. Bellamy goes without saying. We do have some great talent in key areas, and it could pay dividends if you get them all in their stride.
Rich Munn
Academy Player
User Points : 144
Posting Flair : 60

PostRich Munn Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Red614 wrote:
We are after all only three games in, and anything could happen. The team isn't fully match fit yet, no team is as it takes probably a few more games to really get to that level. There's also the problem of our attack and midfield have been completely reworked with new faces that obviously need time to fit Ito the jigsaw properly.

Before the Huddersfield game we had a Cup match and several players away on International duty, if not playing travelling and certainly not training with Cardiff City. Bellamy joined that week.
Last Tuesday against Brighton we played well and there were the beginnings of an extremely promising team.

Between that game and the Bristol debacle we bought Connelly and Smith, both of whom played at Trashton gate.

I said before the season started that it would be October before we really had a good idea of how good we could be this season. I see no reason to change that view. Three games in is certainly too soon to judge anything. Malky is getting a lot of stick, but he can't really be blamed if players give the ball away in bad positions.

Having said that, I do think Whitts has to play further forward than he has done for most of the 3 games - the second half at Brighton he and Gunnerson swapped roles and it was much better. He is good at thinking quickly when moving forward, but when presented with the ball in acres of space just in front of the back four he seems ponderous in movement and thought.

Anyway, I'm obviously disappointed with yesterday's score, but by no means disheartened for the rest of the season.

Just to clarify 833362651
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 6741
Posting Flair : 180

PostCleve van Leef Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Red614 wrote:Now the dusts settled from yesterday somewhat, I thought I'd share my own personal opinion on our season so far, and my expectations.

Our season hasn't started well, no one can deny that. Excluding Brighton, and flashes of a comeback last night, the teams performances have been very poor. Why 4 from
9 points isn't bad, it's not promotion form. That's just the facts, looking at past league tables.

But I'm not immediately screaming 'Malky out!' or declaring the rebrand is a complete failure, because that would be silly. We are afterall only three games in, and anything could happen. The team isn't fully match fit yet, no team is as it takes probably a few more games to really get to that level. There's also the problem of our attack and midfield have been completely reworked with new faces that obviously need time to fit Ito the jigsaw properly.

So what I'm saying is, I don't want to be tarred with the 'overeacting' brush because that's not it at all. I'm simply stating what is an obvious fact, we have not been good enough these last three games. The tactics have been depressing, and Helguson feel overused considering Mason has been very impressive and Velikonja has been given virtually no match time to truly give him a chance. It no doubt will improve, and there's still the fact while our tally has been poor so far a couple of wins could have us top the table, so I'm not worried. But I'm living in the present right now, and the last three games is not what I wanted to see from the squad, especially the stubbornness in formation Malky has displayed.

What the hell will Blackpool be like when they are match fit?
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostCleve van Leef Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Red614 wrote:Whitts is the best player in the championship, Mason possibly the finest young striker. Marshall is one of the most solid goalkeepers, Mutch could see England call-ups in his future if he works hard. Bellamy goes without saying. We do have some great talent in key areas, and it could pay dividends if you get them all in their stride.

No he's not.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:00 am

Cleve van Leef wrote:
Red614 wrote:Whitts is the best player in the championship, Mason possibly the finest young striker. Marshall is one of the most solid goalkeepers, Mutch could see England call-ups in his future if he works hard. Bellamy goes without saying. We do have some great talent in key areas, and it could pay dividends if you get them all in their stride.

No he's not.

He was voted number one player in the Championship by players last season.
Cleve van Leef
Captain of Country
Captain of Country

PostCleve van Leef Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:04 am

Not the best this season, though.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:47 am

This is far too reasonable - Red614 OUT!
Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 am

lets hope we start a winning run against wolves!! & hope that this defeat against the carrot crunchers was a kick up the arse!!
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 am

*** G L O V E S *** wrote:
Cleve van Leef wrote:

No he's not.

He was voted number one player in the Championship by players last season.

He's also the most picked player in the championship fantasy football. With a 10,000 pound prize , that's a hell of a lot of people in the know making Whitts their first pick. Selected more often than Jordan Rhodes, more than Phillips, more than any Bolton, Wolves or Blackburn player.

And to declare he's not the best player this season after only three matches is frankly petty.
Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:05 am

I've heard a few comments saying that Malky has been stubborn as far as formation is concerned. I think this is a bit unfair. He has new players and a formation in mind, he has to give it some time to work out. He would be seen as indecisive and weak if he chopped and changed without giving new players time to gel and to see who works best with who.

We have a strong team this season and I think we will do well. If Whitts, Bellamy, Mutch, Mason, Kim, Smith play to their potential we could have a season to remember. I think it may take a few more games yet to see whether or not it's going to happen.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 am

Every team has it's ups and downs and although this feels like a down, it really could be so much worse.

Malky did a great job last year (play offs and a cup final, no less) and I'm sure if we all have a little patience he will do a good one this year. I'd hate for him and the club to become a victim of it's own success.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:02 pm

I just hope that malky will not be as stubborn as he was last year with the lack of rotating the front line.
Helguson it seems, imo, to be a better player than Miller, but still. As the point has already played, we have very capable forwards on the bench that need some game time.

Poor Kenny Miller just got knackered last season and needed a break - lets hope Malky learns from ladt seasons mistake.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top