View previous topic View next topic Go down

Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Are they worth the hyper inflated price they try to extort from you?
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Bose are overrated.

What type of system you looking for?

2.1, 5.1, 7.1?

I have a 2.1 setup at university and its awesome but I ordered it on the net as its not a British model. It is however better than some £200 systems I had.

This is the system I have, its awesome. Loud, clearer sound with 2.1's and it has an external amplifier too. Cannot go wrong for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001385KIU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 1306
Posting Flair : 124

PostOfficer Crabtree Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Probably not quite worth the price, but they're good. I've got one of those Bose sounddocks that you plug your iphone into.

Great sound, sheilded so there's no interference from the phone, and charges the phone too.

We keep it in the kitchen so we can listen to music or the radio whilst cooking.

I believe true audiophiles dislike bose, saying "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose". But for most laymen they're pretty good sysems, if you don't mind paying the price.
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Officer Crabtree wrote:
I believe true audiophiles dislike bose, saying "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

Hmmm Sounds like a keep clear warning. It's the highs and lows that that separates quality from run of the mill. I've already got good sound with a Marantz amp driving 16 Ohm speakers. Run at optimal levels you can still hear the tiniest of sounds whilst an orchestra is playing the 1812. I daren't play at 2/3rds volume as it'll bring the house down.
Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostOfficer Crabtree Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Judge dRed wrote:
Officer Crabtree wrote:
I believe true audiophiles dislike bose, saying "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose".

Hmmm Sounds like a keep clear warning. It's the highs and lows that that separates quality from run of the mill. I've already got good sound with a Marantz amp driving 16 Ohm speakers. Run at optimal levels you can still hear the tiniest of sounds whilst an orchestra is playing the 1812. I daren't play at 2/3rds volume as it'll bring the house down.

I think it's just a play on words though, averagely dependable, no low points but then again to an audiophile no high points.

Not sure I'd want it for a serious livingroom system but it's great for a kitchen boom box!

Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Militant Black Guy wrote:Bose are overrated.

What type of system you looking for?

2.1, 5.1, 7.1?

I have a 2.1 setup at university and its awesome but I ordered it on the net as its not a British model. It is however better than some £200 systems I had.

This is the system I have, its awesome. Loud, clearer sound with 2.1's and it has an external amplifier too. Cannot go wrong for the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001385KIU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I'm looking for something with good sound quality to send me off to sleep and wake me in the mornings. I'm intrigued that they never/rarely mention a price. One never regrets paying for quality but I often get the impression they're trying to get top dollar for something you can get for 2/3rds or 1/2 the price. Just like Everest double glazing for example.
Do you know of anywhere where you can listen to a Bose system and compare with others. Curry's used to have such a place on Newport Rd but I don't think they sell Bose.
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up

PostJudge dRed Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Officer Crabtree wrote:
Judge dRed wrote:
Officer Crabtree wrote:

I think it's just a play on words though, averagely dependable, no low points but then again to an audiophile no high points.

Not sure I'd want it for a serious livingroom system but it's great for a kitchen boom box!

You can get a reasonable kitchen boom box for a lot less I imagine. scratch
Officer Crabtree
Officer Crabtree
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostOfficer Crabtree Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Judge dRed wrote:

You can get a reasonable kitchen boom box for a lot less I imagine. scratch

Quite probably. And it's only really any good if you've got an iphone...
•••••••™
•••••••™
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 6591
Posting Flair : 303

Post•••••••™ Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 am

I use these YAMAHA HS50M

You can tune the frequency response to your room and there is a matched sub-woofer available, if are are so inclined. They are studio quality monitors @ £115 each (sold in singles). Please note they are active speakers (separate amp built-in to each speaker).

Anyone here bought a Bose sound system? 157
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:33 pm

Late to the thread, as usual......

We considered buying a Bose Wave system for the kitchen a few years back, but eventually settled on a Roberts MP Sound 23 digital radio with MP3/WMA/SD/USB and remote control (wow, but that's what the box says!!).

Don't know what they offer now, as things move on, but the Roberts was considerably cheaper than the Bose and I don't think Bose was DAB at the time. Anyway, our system has excellent sound and we like the retro look coat
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum