View previous topic View next topic Go down

Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

I'm taking a punt on this one cos I'm trollied but does anyone remember Tharg the Mighty in 2000 AD....I'm fully prepared for no responses... But what a fecking ace comic to grow up with... With crappy free gifts in the first few issues... I vaguely remember a 'space spinner' (cheap plastic circular eyeball puncturer) then stickers and lots of cut out 'board games' which where fiddley and shite beyond belief Borag Thungg, Earthlet 2854552383
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 am

I had one of those board games where as a Judge you'd have to try and arrest 'Perps'. It was as cheap looking as you like (including a plastic bright orange Judge piece)

The one crime that always stuck out to me was "Futsie" (no, not flirting with cheesy feet) but someone suffering from "Future Shock Syndrome" and going all Michael Douglas a la 'Falling Down' (except, with more carnage).

I live in London and watching all the stressed out commuters often makes me think of that and wonder who just might Futsie first. Shocked
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:I had one of those board games where as a Judge you'd have to try and arrest 'Perps'. It was as cheap looking as you like (including a plastic bright orange Judge piece)

The one crime that always stuck out to me was "Futsie" (no, not flirting with cheesy feet) but someone suffering from "Future Shock Syndrome" and going all Michael Douglas a la 'Falling Down' (except, with more carnage).

I live in London and watching all the stressed out commuters often makes me think of that and wonder who just might Futsie first. Shocked

The cut out games were equally terrible and brilliant, asva kid you were thrilled to have them but deep down you knew they were an embarrassment. Flimsy unplayable nonsense bottom line. As I mentioned earlier I also read Shiver and Shake & Whizzer and Chips which were also Fleetway comics and I always had the annuals for Christmas! Always a DC comic reader over Marvel when it came to American comics because they were better illustrated IMO as a stroppy youff.
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 5923
Posting Flair : 460

PostG-ster Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeah, I remember 2000AD – with Tharg’s Future Shocks, Strontium Dog, etc.

Roy of the Rovers was another favourite, although that went downhill when some of the members of Spandau Ballet started playing for Melchester.

My Dad also used to buy me those little Commando story-books. (Why did the Japanese make a different noise to the Germans when they were shot in those stories – AAIIIEEE rather than AARRGGHH? If anyone can corroborate this from real life experience I’d be most welcome.)

Ah yes, those halcyon days when a trip to Carrefour in Caerphilly was considered a ‘day out’.
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 pm

G-ster wrote:Yeah, I remember 2000AD – with Tharg’s Future Shocks, Strontium Dog, etc.

Roy of the Rovers was another favourite, although that went downhill when some of the members of Spandau Ballet started playing for Melchester.

My Dad also used to buy me those little Commando story-books. (Why did the Japanese make a different noise to the Germans when they were shot in those stories – AAIIIEEE rather than AARRGGHH? If anyone can corroborate this from real life experience I’d be most welcome.)

Ah yes, those halcyon days when a trip to Carrefour in Caerphilly was considered a ‘day out’.

Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 I remember trips to Carrefour as a kid and being utterly bewildered and overwhelmed by the size and scale of the place... Like entering a Cathedral for the first time.... But they had toys, oh man two aisles of freakin toys, the like of which I'd never seen before.... and I remember the tannoy working overtime as so many kids got lost and had to be collected from customer services
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostG-ster Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Valley Trash wrote:
G-ster wrote:Yeah, I remember 2000AD – with Tharg’s Future Shocks, Strontium Dog, etc.

Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407 I remember trips to Carrefour as a kid and being utterly bewildered and overwhelmed by the size and scale of the place... Like entering a Cathedral for the first time.... But they had toys, oh man two aisles of freakin toys, the like of which I'd never seen before.... and I remember the tannoy working overtime as so many kids got lost and had to be collected from customer services

Ha, Ha - I was one of those lost kids on one occasion! Borag Thungg, Earthlet 692773407
The walk of shame up to collect your pride and joy.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 pm

I think I missed out completely on the cool comics - just went to watch the amazing spider-man - it was alright-the best thing about that film is Emma stone...don't see the need for a new one so soon after the last 3.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 pm

I used to collect those A5 football story books too. Almost had the complete set.

Come to think of it, I don't know what I ever did with them. Borag Thungg, Earthlet 4228682415
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostG-ster Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Arkay v2.0 wrote:I used to collect those A5 football story books too. Almost had the complete set.

Come to think of it, I don't know what I ever did with them. Borag Thungg, Earthlet 4228682415

Do you mean these....?

Borag Thungg, Earthlet Stark10

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Yes! Those exactly.

There was a great one set in the future where all the London clubs had been amalgamated into one all-conquering super club called "London United" who were then beaten by a plucky set of misfit lower league players with a maverick manager because he got them to believe in themselves and play for each other.

"Wales United"? Get on it Tan...
G-ster
G-ster
Club Legend
Club Legend

PostG-ster Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:34 am

Arkay v2.0 wrote:Yes! Those exactly.

There was a great one set in the future where all the London clubs had been amalgamated into one all-conquering super club called "London United" who were then beaten by a plucky set of misfit lower league players with a maverick manager because he got them to believe in themselves and play for each other.

"Wales United"? Get on it Tan...

Yeah, that story rings a bell.
Some of the covers here look familiar…..

http://www.britishcomics.20m.com/foot1986-1988.htm
Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:48 am

Valley Trash wrote:I'm taking a punt on this one cos I'm trollied but does anyone remember Tharg the Mighty in 2000 AD....I'm fully prepared for no responses... But what a fecking ace comic to grow up with... With crappy free gifts in the first few issues... I vaguely remember a 'space spinner' (cheap plastic circular eyeball puncturer) then stickers and lots of cut out 'board games' which where fiddley and shite beyond belief Borag Thungg, Earthlet 2854552383

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/01/the-great-alan-moore-reread-future-shocks

You might enjoy this Mr Trash (which I pronounce Trah-shay)
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:05 am

Kamuza wrote:
Valley Trash wrote:I'm taking a punt on this one cos I'm trollied but does anyone remember Tharg the Mighty in 2000 AD....I'm fully prepared for no responses... But what a fecking ace comic to grow up with... With crappy free gifts in the first few issues... I vaguely remember a 'space spinner' (cheap plastic circular eyeball puncturer) then stickers and lots of cut out 'board games' which where fiddley and shite beyond belief Borag Thungg, Earthlet 2854552383

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/01/the-great-alan-moore-reread-future-shocks

You might enjoy this Mr Trash (which I pronounce Trah-shay)

Thank you Mr Kamuza, which I pronounce 'Kamuza', I will definitely enjoy this Borag Thungg, Earthlet 1525230823

Also your pronounciation of Trashay was perfect and I pronounce Valley like Valet not Valeee
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostValley Trash Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 am

Val-ehhh Trah-shay... Hmmm I feel a Friday night residency in Minsky's could be an option
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum