View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 am

I see the players had a meeting to persuade Coleman to stay. I'm not surprised at that as they are mostly fixtures in the side and virtually guaranteed selection for every game. Although he doesn't like friendlies, we need more arranged to integrate players like Brooks and Ampadu into the the system before they are lured over the border.
As to the future, I think all managers have a shelf life,  he's been around for six years and the time is right for a change before things go completely stale. Apparently we will have a friendly next month against USA or Mexico and I don't want to see a side featuring players such as Williams, Ledley, King and Edwards turning out which may well happen with him in charge.
He's done a decent job but has been flattered on times by the performance of some of our better players.
byebye
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 am

He does run the risk of undoing his legacy if things don't go so well and he sticks around for the next campaign/ I'm sure that will factor in his decision. Right now, he still has a good profile and should get a decent club offer. I think if he does go, there might be a few "international retirements" that would follow too.

That being said, I always felt he was willing to bring through the youngsters but for the names you mentioned above there simply hasn't been the right opportunity yet. I agree that Williams, Ledley and King (and Ramsey, for that matter) didn't play well last night (no one did) but it's very hard to point to obvious replacement players who could've been brought in for such a high profile, pressure match. Plus, they were the players who have brought success in the past and had got Wales to the brink - why not trust them? I'm not sure there was much scope for massive changes really.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 am

Still, this has been the best time to support Wales - without doubt. At least there is hope in the stands and a competitive team on the pitch!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:45 am

Chris Coleman has done a remarkable job with the players available.  I know there was a lot of talk about inheriting Gary Speed's legacy, but at the end of the day, he has made the team his own.

Yes, there may have been a "golden age", with a couple of exceptional players coming through, but, in the main, he has taken competent Championship standard footballers and molded them into a team that has steadily risen up the world rankings, far above where they should be, perhaps.

Can he do more in the future?  Probably not.

Coleman is still a relatively young manager and I am not sure what sort of job would suit him most next.  Nevertheless, if he does decide he has taken the team as far as he can, then I would just say, "thank you Chris for the brilliant years we have enjoyed under your tenure"

red dragon
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum