PostCleve van Leef Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 am

Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 am

No. They wouldn't dare - particularly when you consider what a sausage roll is made from. A FAT waah would be needed.
scared
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Miss their corned beef pasties dreadfully ...... sob
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:21 pm

............. but not as much as Clarks Pies ......
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:13 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:No. They wouldn't dare - particularly when you consider what a sausage roll is made from. A FAT waah would be needed.
scared

This actually made me laugh. A real first for you Cyncoed.

woohoo
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 pm

TDA wrote:............. but not as much as Clarks Pies ......

Oh God yes! Although, last time I had one they seemed to have shrunk significantly in size.

I can only imagine the scorn within your current local community if you tried to introduce those as a regular staple.

tda sniggers
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Arkay Dubya wrote:
Cyncoedslumdog wrote:No. They wouldn't dare - particularly when you consider what a sausage roll is made from. A FAT waah would be needed.
scared

woohoo
Obviously I appreciate your remarks but they've come about because on this occasion, I lowered the degree of hilarious sophistication I normally use to help members of this board such as yourself to appreciate my repartee innit.
idea
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:52 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:
Arkay Dubya wrote:
scared

woohoo
Obviously I appreciate your remarks but they've come about because on this occasion, I lowered the degree of hilarious sophistication I normally use to help members of this board such as yourself to appreciate my repartee innit.
idea

Of course. That's right...

faceplant crazy
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:46 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:
TDA wrote:............. but not as much as Clarks Pies ......

Oh God yes! Although, last time I had one they seemed to have shrunk significantly in size.

I can only imagine the scorn within your current local community if you tried to introduce those as a regular staple.

tda sniggers

The Clark family appears to have split into two separate factions, something I didn't realise until when I went looking for the Clarkie shop at Vic Park on a visit a couple of years back.  It took some convincing by the shopkeeper that Victoria Park pies were still the genuine article, but, as they say, the proof of the pie is in the eating.

Funnily enough, they would probably go down well, certainly with our circle of French friends.  They love anything British and acknowledge that our food has much more flavour than the run of the mill stuff you find in the local stores.

Regularly served at chez TDA, full Sunday roasts (gravy, what is gravy??), sausages, curries, chilli all go down well.  Haggis is a particular favourite, but difficult to get hold of quality ones here.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend

PostCyncoedslumdog Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:28 am

There's still a Clark's Pie shop in Bromsgrove Street, Grangetown.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 pm

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:There's still a Clark's Pie shop in Bromsgrove Street, Grangetown.

That shop is only a couple of hundred yards from where I was born and grew up, but I didn't realise that it was still there.

Mrs TDA and I were having a discussion yesterday evening about the relative merits of bread worldwide and Bruton's cropped up.  I seem to remember that there was a Bruton's not far from the Clark's shop.

Those and the fact that Ninian Park was in walking distance are a few of the more positive memories I retain of growing up in Grangetown in the 50s & 60s.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:32 am

Not spent a huge amount of time in Grangetown. Only a few hazy, drunken memories of shambling through the streets late at night on the long, penniless walk back to Penarth. I think I survived.

beer

On the subject of bread, the French are definite leaders in that category but as it is a nationally protected product I am not surprised.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:32 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:Not spent a huge amount of time in Grangetown. Only a few hazy, drunken memories of shambling through the streets late at night on the long, penniless walk back to Penarth. I think I survived.

beer

On the subject of bread, the French are definite leaders in that category but as it is a nationally protected product I am not surprised.

As kids, we used to walk through a boarded up disused tunnel that ran between Ferry Road and Penarth dock, well before either of those places were built on.

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/penarths-hidden-forgotten-submarine-subway-is-re-appraised/

Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostArkay Dubya Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 am

TDA wrote:
Arkay Dubya wrote:Not spent a huge amount of time in Grangetown. Only a few hazy, drunken memories of shambling through the streets late at night on the long, penniless walk back to Penarth. I think I survived.

beer

As kids, we used to walk through a boarded up disused tunnel that ran between Ferry Road and Penarth dock, well before either of those places were built on.

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2014/07/27/penarths-hidden-forgotten-submarine-subway-is-re-appraised/

Wow! That's incredible! In all the years I lived there, I never knew that existed. Mind you much of that area was still a rubbish tip when I was there. Looking at the map, my friend lives one or two roads across from where the old south side entrance was - might be worth paying them a visit in the near future just to satisfy my curiosity.

http://www.cardiffwalkingtours.com/cardiff-walking-tours-news/269-penarth-subway.html
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:32 am

Arkay Dubya wrote:
TDA wrote:

beer

Wow! That's incredible! In all the years I lived there, I never knew that existed. Mind you much of that area was still a rubbish tip when I was there. Looking at the map, my friend lives one or two roads across from where the old south side entrance was - might be worth paying them a visit in the near future just to satisfy my curiosity.

http://www.cardiffwalkingtours.com/cardiff-walking-tours-news/269-penarth-subway.html

The articles suggest that the entrances were bricked up in 1963, but the tunnel was certainly accessible until 1968, which was when my family moved away. As the comments say beneath the Penarth News piece, it was dark and scary, as you couldn't see any light at the other end until you had rounded the bend in the subway.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum