View previous topic View next topic Go down

Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Mon May 27, 2013 9:44 pm

It seems many on here if they are serious gamers look to the latest console technology rather than computer technology for their fix. Many people have used their pc's primarily for web surfing but figures show that more and more people are now using mobile phones or tablets to access the web.

So is the pc still relevant to most users on this board? Do you still use one but envisage not replacing it once it has finally died?

For myself, i am in the position of holding out to later in the year to replace my long dead pc. I have been using a laptop set up to work as a desktop with a normal keyboard, mouse and seperate monitor for ages now. The PC is not dead for myself and for the first time in a while the technology hitting the next generation of computers is actually exciting and makes waiting for it not just worthwhile but sensible.

Haswell chips should not only bring vastly increased battery life for mobile devices but an 'active idle' state which has the potential to put them on a par with phones and laptops for a virtual always on state.

The low power consumption and high performance of the chips could actually see a huge growth in tablets running Windows 8 too and presumably a corresponding explosion in the number of apps available on this platform providing a third major player alongside Apple and Android devices. That is a different story though and my own focus is likely to remain on the pc market for the time being.

Advanced claims are one thing though and the reality can often be quite different. The Haswell chip officially launches a week today and i guess computer manufacturers will not be far behind in launching their first wave of pc's running them. It is rumoured that the mid range to budget end of the market will not really benefit until near the end of the year but the intervening months will be interesting to see if the chip can live up to it's hype and give a flagging pc market a much needed shot in the arm.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Mon May 27, 2013 11:27 pm

I know next to nothing about the technical side of things, but working from home for years, I have always needed a reliable computer.

Until New Year, I had always had a desk top PC in my home office. A variety of technicians over the years have upgraded the machine, so it ended up like Trigger's broom..........18 new heads and 10 handles, but still as good as the day in came out of the showroom!

Anyway, the PC finally gave up the ghost at New Year, so my son persuaded me to invest in a laptop, which does everything the PC did and a whole lot more.

Only mistake was having W8 operating system, which is a nightmare if you haven't got a touchscreen....... Do people on here still use PC's? 904430666
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon May 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Haven't owned a desktop PC for years. I use laptops mainly because I need to take work with me. Interesting to read about the Haswell chips though.
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 am

i have used a lap-top for about four years. load less clutter in the room
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue May 28, 2013 12:35 am

You just never see them on the beat, these days. They closed down our local police station a few years ago, as well. They've been getting younger for so long now they're probably not yet out of nappies.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 am

The Tonker wrote:You just never see them on the beat, these days. They closed down our local police station a few years ago, as well. They've been getting younger for so long now they're probably not yet out of nappies.

Well deserved flair....nothing to do with the post, but for having survived the dry sherry and The Great Gatsby! Do people on here still use PC's? 692773407
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Tue May 28, 2013 6:49 am

TDA wrote:
The Tonker wrote:You just never see them on the beat, these days. They closed down our local police station a few years ago, as well. They've been getting younger for so long now they're probably not yet out of nappies.

Well deserved flair....nothing to do with the post, but for having survived the dry sherry and The Great Gatsby! Do people on here still use PC's? 692773407
The Gatsby did have the saving grace of having Carey Mulligan in it.....I could watch her reading the telephone directory. In fairness, Di Caprio's performance was excellent, and it was visually stunning as well. And, as it turned out, probably better to watch than the football. Nice to see the return of Mr Cox, TDA!
DrewBlue
DrewBlue
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 912
Posting Flair : 70

PostDrewBlue Tue May 28, 2013 9:30 am

i use a pc which i run through my tv via hdmi, big fan of tv shows and films so i watch everything online which is great to run through a 32" led. i only really use it for pleasure mind so it doesn't need to be portable or set up in a particular way. i also spend all of my time in my room watching things etc so it makes sense.

i always planned on buying a pc, they are far more robust and powerful to my knowledge, plus upgrading them is really easy. for instance in the future i plan on doubling my ram to 8gb and fitting a new graphics card so i can play games on it.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am

DrewBlue wrote:i use a pc which i run through my tv via hdmi, big fan of tv shows and films so i watch everything online which is great to run through a 32" led. i only really use it for pleasure mind so it doesn't need to be portable or set up in a particular way. i also spend all of my time in my room watching things etc so it makes sense.

i always planned on buying a pc, they are far more robust and powerful to my knowledge, plus upgrading them is really easy. for instance in the future i plan on doubling my ram to 8gb and fitting a new graphics card so i can play games on it.

I agree that desktops are better value for money especially if you don't need or want portability. I hate laptops as far as the keyboards and track pads are concerned so the one i have (bought second hand from my sister) hardly got any use until my desktop died and it took over the role of being my desktop PC. It never gets moved or unplugged so is just providing processing power.

The sensible choice i suppose would be to buy another desktop but i want to see if the 'instant on' benefits which will find it's way into laptops and ultrabooks is utilised on desktops too. If not then a decent ultrabook with long battery life, improved graphics, instant on technology and a touchscreen could be the way to go. I would still hook it up to a wireless keyboard and mouse and large monitor for day to day use but have the option to have it as a portable i might actually use (the touchscreen should hopefully remove a lot of the irritations i have with keyboards and trackpads).

If you want the ability to upgrade though then desktops are still the way to go for the moment.
Rhys
Rhys
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 35015
Posting Flair : 2229
http://www.redbluebirds.com

PostRhys Tue May 28, 2013 10:32 am

I'm a keen gamer as some of you know and I probably use my desktop more than anything else still ( aside from my tablet).

In fact, since I have had my Google nexus 7, I barely ever turn on my laptop.

Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum