Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

One of the flukes of the champions league was on show last night - Barcelona knocked PSG out of the quarter finals despite never actually beating them. For those that missed it the two results were 2-2 and 1-1, with Barcelonas 2 away goals providing the 'victory'.

Is this really justified? Footballers are supposed to be sportsmen, and all sportsmen are supposed to live by the ethos of keeping your eye on the game and ignoring everything else. Can the crowd be distracting? Of course, but likewise is it too hard to ask an individual on 50 thousand pounds a week to just ignore what's going on outside of the game?

This sort of circumstance isn't the only case of the away goals rule being unfair either. The rule also applies in extra time, meaning the home team would have to score twice as many goals as the away team in extra time to secure victory. There is only one leg of extra time, so isn't it immediately unfair in that sense?

Just get rid of it, it's horrendously unfair and I've seen personally how mood killing it is seeing your team concede one goal an yet having to now score at least two to qualify. The winner should be the one that scores more, not the one that was least affected by the crowd. I have a window in work that looks right out on A+E and particularly in the nights that can be a hugely distracting sight. I think for 50 grand a week though, I could probably bring myself to ignore it.

*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:00 am

There are positives and negatives to this. Though it does appear now that home teams are more than happy to take a 0-0 draw into the second leg - it just doesn't seem right.

Plus the fact that the away side in the second leg has the advantage of an extra 30 mins (if it goes to ET) to score an away goal.
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 am

Maybe
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum