View previous topic View next topic Go down

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:34 am

Whilst we have no doubt enjoyed our most successful season for many, many years (47 in my memory), I do have to wonder about the overall quality of the teams in the division.

The talk last summer was of how difficult a campaign this was going to be, given that the relegated teams Blackburn, Bolton & Wolves were going to be thereabouts, as were Leicester and Brighton. That really hasn't happened, although Bolton may have a late charge at the playoffs.

We have also seen that on any day a team from the lower reaches can put one over on a top half or playoff team. It might be said that that is the nature of the Championship, but, as the top teams (City included) have appeared so inconsistent and there really are no stand-out teams this year, that leads me to believe that the overall standard of the division is mediocre.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:46 am

Stand out teams stand out though due to the fact they are so ahead of the rest. Newcastle looked a class above when we played them a few seasons back but i can't remember the division being full of really good sides.

I think the standard is pretty much the same as it has always been. It is just that us as the leading team haven't really set the world alight. We could still average 2 points a game and get past 90 points which is pretty consistent over a season - i wouldn't put any money on that just at the moment though Standard of the Championship this season 692773407
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 am

I'm not convinced the league is easy, I think it's more a case that the league is more finely balanced than its competitors. With only 5 games left the only teams safe from promotion are the top 4. Bottom of the league Bristol could finish the season in the top half if they ended with a wining streak and other teams struggled.

The disaster that was the three premiership relegated teams has really been disorted by off the pitch problems, namely manager changes. Blackburn and Bolton definetely have squads that deserve much more than what they have actually gotten, Blackburn standing out as a team I feel if you put everything else aside could of mounted a challenge for the title.

Likewise, the teams that came up to us have mounted strong survival challenges, but despite that it could be argued compared to Norwich and Southampton's efforts in previous seasons, the divide between championship and league 1 is stronger than ever.

The leagues not as strong as I expected, no. But I still feel pound for pound it's one of te most competitive leagues in Europe.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 am

Toast's summarisation is also a good one - I think the world always looks a lot smaller when you are stood on top of it. When adding to that the fact we are Cardiff City fans, notoriously pessimistic, it's easy to panic Standard of the Championship this season 692773407
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 am

All good points, Gentlemen, but I think it fair to say that we were probably" in the right place at the right time" this year. If the fancied teams had been firing on all cylinders, then I don't think we would be where we are this evening.
Slimfrog's Son™
Slimfrog's Son™
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 21200
Posting Flair : 1110

PostSlimfrog's Son™ Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 pm

TDA wrote:All good points, Gentlemen, but I think it fair to say that we were probably" in the right place at the right time" this year. If the fancied teams had been firing on all cylinders, then I don't think we would be where we are this evening.

Definitely agree with that. Mainly because we have the fifth best team on paper in the division. Blackburn should have walked it this year with Bolton and Wolves going up as well, and Brighton and Leicester pushing them. Although in fairness to Brighton, I think they have been in a bit of difficulty financially and that's why they sold Noone
Kate
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1754
Posting Flair : 220

PostKate Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Sadly I think I agree TDA but maybe I am just feeling a bit weaker based on recent form, we will see how good we are next year
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:17 pm

.......and Ladies....... coat
Alf Red
Alf Red
Squad Player
Squad Player
User Points : 286
Posting Flair : 10

PostAlf Red Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Slumdog's Son™ wrote:
TDA wrote:All good points, Gentlemen, but I think it fair to say that we were probably" in the right place at the right time" this year. If the fancied teams had been firing on all cylinders, then I don't think we would be where we are this evening.

Definitely agree with that. Mainly because we have the fifth best team on paper in the division. Blackburn should have walked it this year with Bolton and Wolves going up as well, and Brighton and Leicester pushing them. Although in fairness to Brighton, I think they have been in a bit of difficulty financially and that's why they sold Noone

Its a strange argument to suggest that the faliure of the relegated teams to dominate the Division is evidence that its a weak League. Surely the opposite is true? They have failed because the League is strong not weak. I haven't checked back over past seasons but my impression is that it is now becoming the norm rather than the exception for relegated teams to fail to bounce back to the Premier League immediately. There are lots of good players and decent teams in the Championship and many of them are playing a type passing of football which was very rare in the second tier not so long ago. It is true that there are no truly outstanding teams this year but that doesnt mean the overall standard is poor. Of course if there were a couple of outstanding teams running away with it people would be saying that it showed how weak the League was!

TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I had considered that arguement, but the teams that came down were quality sides and they were expected to rally and make an immediate challenge to return.......I think you only need to consult the pre-season odds offered to acknowledge that view.

The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 pm

TDA wrote:I had considered that arguement, but the teams that came down were quality sides and they were expected to rally and make an immediate challenge to return.......I think you only need to consult the pre-season odds offered to acknowledge that view.

But as Red has pointed out, they had various off the field problems which has to some extent negated their perceived quality. This doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the field is weak.
*** G L O V E S ***
*** G L O V E S ***
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 8492
Posting Flair : 721
http://danlewis92.weebly.com/

Post*** G L O V E S *** Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 am

Alf Red wrote:
Slumdog's Son™ wrote:

Its a strange argument to suggest that the faliure of the relegated teams to dominate the Division is evidence that its a weak League. Surely the opposite is true? They have failed because the League is strong not weak. I haven't checked back over past seasons but my impression is that it is now becoming the norm rather than the exception for relegated teams to fail to bounce back to the Premier League immediately. There are lots of good players and decent teams in the Championship and many of them are playing a type passing of football which was very rare in the second tier not so long ago. It is true that there are no truly outstanding teams this year but that doesnt mean the overall standard is poor. Of course if there were a couple of outstanding teams running away with it people would be saying that it showed how weak the League was!

Brilliant post. Completely agree!
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:12 am

I agree that it can be argued both ways, hence the reason for starting the discussion.

However, the proof of the pudding will be in how well the promoted teams fare next year in the Premiership.

I have watched any number of televised and streamed games this season and cannot say that I have not been particularly impressed by the quality of what has been served up.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 am

I'm not sure that how the promoted teams fare next year in the Premiership will prove anything - any promoted team is likely to undergo wholesale changes in team personnel, not to mention the possible radical overhaul in tactics and approach to games, that it will bear little resemblance to this year's side.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 am

The Tonker wrote:I'm not sure that how the promoted teams fare next year in the Premiership will prove anything - any promoted team is likely to undergo wholesale changes in team personnel, not to mention the possible radical overhaul in tactics and approach to games, that it will bear little resemblance to this year's side.

Let's hope so!
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum