View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tans Tache
Tans Tache
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 22790
Posting Flair : 760

PostTans Tache Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Im still gutted but gotta try an look on to forrest... but thats going to be tough, where as against barnsley it was all one sided, forrest it will be a hard game,
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm

We are back to the old concern of where the goals are coming from. That is now Peterbro', Watford and Barnsley where we should have won by a country mile, based on first half domination.

Forest will probably be a hard fought draw.

I don't think our promotion is in doubt, but the title might rest on the final game.......
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm

My cold is much better now, thank you for asking.
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Any year other than this year I would be feeling "Here we go again - the greatest "bottle job" EVER!" But this year, Barnsley just delayed the inevitable and good luck to them. The job is promotion, not entertainment and we are now one point further forward in that goal, though going up as champions would be nice.
Getting back to entertainment value; fortunately, if we play like we have played since the Blackburn game if and when we reach the Premiership we will be obliterated. So "The job is avoiding relegation not entertainment" will have to achieved by some other means. Phew!!
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:30 pm

well i am not so sure. as we have been in this position before. beginning to get the feeling we are going to screw-up
got home last night in a mood, upset the mrs, she went to bed in a huff so had to eat humble pie this am:lol!:
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:39 pm

davewebber65 wrote:well i am not so sure. as we have been in this position before. beginning to get the feeling we are going to screw-up
got home last night in a mood, upset the mrs, she went to bed in a huff so had to eat humble pie this am:lol!:

We've never been top of the league with a 9 point cushion over 3rd place and only 5 games to go before.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Strange one, I thought we were excellent yesterday for most of the game and pretty much everyone who started played their part and had a decent game, yes, even Smith had probably his best game of the season.

Kim should never have come off, it's not as if he was struggling and he again looked great on the ball and was tenacious in defence. Mutch too was fantastic and those 2 look great together.

Barnsley rode their luck as they did against Palace and can think themselves very lucky not to be dead and burried by the time we actually managed to score.

If Helguson had put that one on one away - and make no mistake about it, he should have - then we would've won 2-0 and everyone would be talking about how well we played and we would be on the brink of promotion.

Well done Barnsley for not giving up, they so obviously came for the draw and only decided to attack when they had no other option. I've heard people say we sat back when we conceded the goal, but the truth is Barnsley started attacking, people have to remember there are two teams in a game of football, not just Cardiff City!

Onwards to Forest and then Charlton, regardless of that injury time equaliser we're still in an enviable position and I'm still confident we'll get the job done in the next couple of games.
Colin's Reversible Hat
Colin's Reversible Hat
First Team Regular
First Team Regular
User Points : 1109
Posting Flair : 50
http://twitter.com/aledwills91

PostColin's Reversible Hat Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Caldi Blue wrote:Strange one, I thought we were excellent yesterday for most of the game and pretty much everyone who started played their part and had a decent game, yes, even Smith had probably his best game of the season.

Kim should never have come off, it's not as if he was struggling and he again looked great on the ball and was tenacious in defence. Mutch too was fantastic and those 2 look great together.

Barnsley rode their luck as they did against Palace and can think themselves very lucky not to be dead and burried by the time we actually managed to score.

If Helguson had put that one on one away - and make no mistake about it, he should have - then we would've won 2-0 and everyone would be talking about how well we played and we would be on the brink of promotion.

Well done Barnsley for not giving up, they so obviously came for the draw and only decided to attack when they had no other option. I've heard people say we sat back when we conceded the goal, but the truth is Barnsley started attacking, people have to remember there are two teams in a game of football, not just Cardiff City!

Onwards to Forest and then Charlton, regardless of that injury time equaliser we're still in an enviable position and I'm still confident we'll get the job done in the next couple of games.
Couldn't have put it better myself!
davewebber65
davewebber65
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 11984
Posting Flair : 290

Postdavewebber65 Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 pm

he should never have put whittingham on. we were fine up to then
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Caldi Blue wrote:Strange one, I thought we were excellent yesterday for most of the game and pretty much everyone who started played their part and had a decent game, yes, even Smith had probably his best game of the season.

Hows Everyone Feeling This Morning? 3874419067

It was annoying but I wasn't worried by it. We didn't deserve anything against Leicester or Derby but we deserved to win that game. Barnsley had their turn to be lucky. It happens in football. Kim was playing well but who would argue with bringing on arguably our best player of the last three or four seasons (even if he is a little out of form) to try and shore the game up?

If we play like that again, we'll be fine.
Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 pm

This just about sums up my feelings too. Thanks for saving me the effort.

Welshineire
Welshineire
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1168
Posting Flair : 100

PostWelshineire Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Oops. Stuck that in the middle of your comment, appologies.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 am

I agree with you to a point, Caldi. The team now has a superb midfield balance and is playing the best football of the season. However, we are not killing off teams as we should, given our dominance, particularly in the first half of games.

Last night, the half time possession was 68/32 in favour of City with something like 9 shots on target. Steele is a cracking keeper and was a large reason why we didn't get the goal.

At the end of the game, possession was 48/52 in favour of Barnsley, which amounts to a second half capitulation by Cardiff. No doubt that figure has arisen from Malky's decision to give them 100% of possession for the last 15 minutes with two crass substitutions............ Hows Everyone Feeling This Morning? 3392635135

Yes, we will get there this year, being the best of a fairly ordinary bunch in this season's Championship, but the tactics and squandered points are leaving a bad taste in the mouth......and a real concern for next year.
Toast Boy
Toast Boy
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 7697
Posting Flair : 830

PostToast Boy Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 am

I agree with most of what you say except for the highlighted part. Barnsley set themselves up to defend and keep a clean sheet and come away with a point. They didn't even seem to have enough ambition to try to get a goal on the break - i think they went out looking for a 0-0 and changed their gameplan when we scored.

Of course under those circumstances Barnsley were going to cause more problems and get more possession than earlier as they then sought to get an equaliser. None of that excuses a club sitting at the top of the table aiming for Premier league football next season playing a 9-0-1 formation and resorting to aimlessly booting the ball upfield and waiting around the penalty box for the ball to come back again.

I can take us coming under more pressure and not having things our own way towards the end. I can't take the way the team and presumably Malky reacted to that pressure by stopping playing football or even trying to keep possession.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 am

Toast Boy wrote:

I agree with most of what you say except for the highlighted part. Barnsley set themselves up to defend and keep a clean sheet and come away with a point. They didn't even seem to have enough ambition to try to get a goal on the break - i think they went out looking for a 0-0 and changed their gameplan when we scored.

Of course under those circumstances Barnsley were going to cause more problems and get more possession than earlier as they then sought to get an equaliser. None of that excuses a club sitting at the top of the table aiming for Premier league football next season playing a 9-0-1 formation and resorting to aimlessly booting the ball upfield and waiting around the penalty box for the ball to come back again.

I can take us coming under more pressure and not having things our own way towards the end. I can't take the way the team and presumably Malky reacted to that pressure by stopping playing football or even trying to keep possession.

I've actually noticed an error with my own post there, I meant 'sat back when we scored' rather than when we conceded.

Yeh I agree with what you say though about stopping playing, however I think it's a tricky one when you are 1-0 up at home with 20 minutes to go. You can go into your shell and try and see it out by sitting on the penality box (like we did/do) or you can take it to the opponenent and kill the game off (like a top class team would do). The only problem with attacking when you have a slender lead is you can leave yourself exposed at the back and if you concede a goal then the question 'what were they doing trying to attack?' will be asked.

I guess you have to try and get the right balance of keeping it tight, but trying to kill the game off at the same time, which, if Helguson had put one of those chances away...
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum