Anyone else getting a bit tired of players faking injuries to avoid international duty?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 am

Jordan Rhodes and Robert Snodgrass are the newest names to add to the list, both coming down with mysterious 'ankle injuries' that will no doubt be miraculously better once the normal league resumes.

In my opinion it's downright insulting to their country that they can't be bothered to represent them simply because they aren't being paid to. If I was a professional footballer the pinnacle of my career would be lifting the World Cup trophy with my nation, anything else (premiership, champions league, etc) would just be the icing on the cake. It shouldn't matter what odds your team have of winning. Scotland and Wales will be lucky to qualify let alone win, but that shouldn't make any difference in the players eyes, it wouldn't mine if I chose to represent Wales instead.

Football is one of the only sports in the world where representing your country is actively avoided, and I think it's disgusting.
Caldi Blue
Caldi Blue
Captain of Country
Captain of Country
User Points : 3884
Posting Flair : 540

PostCaldi Blue Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 am

Yes.

But I'm going to the match on Friday and might pull out last minute due to an 'illness', which would make me a hypocrite.
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
User Points : 1617
Posting Flair : 80

PostNN2Red2 Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 am

Red614 wrote:Jordan Rhodes and Robert Snodgrass are the newest names to add to the list, both coming down with mysterious 'ankle injuries' that will no doubt be miraculously better once the normal league resumes.

In my opinion it's downright insulting to their country that they can't be bothered to represent them simply because they aren't being paid to. If I was a professional footballer the pinnacle of my career would be lifting the World Cup trophy with my nation, anything else (premiership, champions league, etc) would just be the icing on the cake. It shouldn't matter what odds your team have of winning. Scotland and Wales will be lucky to qualify let alone win, but that shouldn't make any difference in the players eyes, it wouldn't mine if I chose to represent Wales instead.

Football is one of the only sports in the world where representing your country is actively avoided, and I think it's disgusting.

There are a significant number of our fans that put Cardiff City before Wales and are pleased that Bellamy is not playing the next two internationals. I beg to differ.
Unfortunately, in Europe the Clubs have grown too powerful against some of the International FA's and with money talking some players seem very selective about the games they play.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 26030
Posting Flair : 1850

PostTDA Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 pm

I also think that the fact that the Wales, Scotland & NI teams have been in decline for years has a lot to do with it. Wales threatened a revival under Gary Speed, but I don't think the players have that much faith in the respective international set-ups.

They play an awful lot of domestic & European football these days and the lack of motivation in playing for a failing national side is understandable to me.

I believe that a GB national side, at least for major competitions, is the way forward at some point in the future.......after Scotland rejects independence would be appropriate.........

Rugby League manages to encompass both individual nations and a GB side, so why not football?
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostNN2Red2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:I also think that the fact that the Wales, Scotland & NI teams have been in decline for years has a lot to do with it. Wales threatened a revival under Gary Speed, but I don't think the players have that much faith in the respective international set-ups.

They play an awful lot of domestic & European football these days and the lack of motivation in playing for a failing national side is understandable to me.

I believe that a GB national side, at least for major competitions, is the way forward at some point in the future.......after Scotland rejects independence would be appropriate.........

Rugby League manages to encompass both individual nations and a GB side, so why not football?

And Rugby Union has a long history of the British & Irish Lions.

In England, the clubs have been allowed to take precedence over the National side, even though one of the founding principles of the formation of the Premier League was to strengthen the England side lol!
With the Premiership and Football League awash with foreign stars there has been a squeeze on UK players in terms of opportunity to play at the highest level with an obvious shrinkage of the selection pool of players for the Home Nations. I'm not sure it's the same for other Major International sides.
However, due to the long history of the Home Nations I could not support a GB&NI side.
I've spent too much time laughing at the pr!cks who didn't deserve their place in many England sides over the years, and who were selected because they played for the right (London) clubs to be able to support a GB side even if a token Welshman made the tea at half time. The FA and the England Football Team are the pinnacle of what is wrong with football in the UK, and I want to "Carry on Mocking!"
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 am

...............ironically, we (Wales) now have players who could command a place in a GB side on merit.........
NN2Red2
NN2Red2
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

PostNN2Red2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:...............ironically, we (Wales) now have players who could command a place in a GB side on merit.........

Plural? Bale and...............? Wink
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 am

There will be no GB football team in Rio 2016, I think you can take from that the idea of its revival has fallen back on its arse before it really truly started.

And I personally don't understand how anyone can 'reason' with players losing interest in playing internationally jut because they don't believe they're going to do well. That's petty playground antics and by the same logic what's the point in playing for any premiership team excluding the 'big four'?

I'm almost certain the difference is money. Robert Snodgrass is my example - perfectly happy to play for Norwich every week even though they risk being bottom of the premiership. But not happy to play for Scotland? Only difference - one of them pays him lots of money.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:56 am

Red614 wrote:There will be no GB football team in Rio 2016, I think you can take from that the idea of its revival has fallen back on its arse before it really truly started.

And I personally don't understand how anyone can 'reason' with players losing interest in playing internationally jut because they don't believe they're going to do well. That's petty playground antics and by the same logic what's the point in playing for any premiership team excluding the 'big four'?

I'm almost certain the difference is money. Robert Snodgrass is my example - perfectly happy to play for Norwich every week even though they risk being bottom of the premiership. But not happy to play for Scotland? Only difference - one of them pays him lots of money.

Footballers generally are not the most intelligent or gracious of creatures on the planet and of course, they play for money, not the love of the game or honour of turning out for one's country..........that belongs to an era gone by, as do the individual Home National sides, with the exception of England, who usually do offer a European and World stage to players at two yearly intervals.

Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 am

Club before country for me. If it were a team GB I'd probably change my mind but there's no point risking injury for another failed campaign before it has even started.
TDA
TDA
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTDA Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 am

NN2Red2 wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:...............ironically, we (Wales) now have players who could command a place in a GB side on merit.........

Plural? Bale and...............? Wink

............ah, thanks for that, I'd forgotten about Gareth Bale. Anyone else getting a bit tired of players faking injuries to avoid international duty? 2854552383

I was thinking more along the lines of with John Terry's decision to call it a day on the international stage, there would be a natural successor to step up to Team GB in Darcy Blake........not forgetting the gentleman set to become his long term international centre back partner, Ashley Williams.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 am

Judge dRed wrote:Club before country for me. If it were a team GB I'd probably change my mind but there's no point risking injury for another failed campaign before it has even started.

Patriotism really is dead isn't it...

I'd pick England lifting the World Cup trophy over Cardiff lifting the premiership, everytime.
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 am

Isn't Bellers on a million pound bonus if City are promoted... We've sort of incentivised his behaviour somewhat
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 am

Red614 wrote:
Judge dRed wrote:Club before country for me. If it were a team GB I'd probably change my mind but there's no point risking injury for another failed campaign before it has even started.

Patriotism really is dead isn't it...

I'd pick England lifting the World Cup trophy over Cardiff lifting the premiership, everytime.

Nationalism/patriotism is no more than an idea, more so than a football team the fortunes of which one ties one's aspirations to.
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm

I don't care about international football. Its boring, its a farce, its full of suited plonkers at every single game or empty seats because those suited plonkers couldn't be bothered going.

Similar to club football I suppose but at least at club level there are still some decent games with loads of proper fans there.

International football has been dead since 98.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum