Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 10721
Posting Flair : 1193
https://social-media-posting.com

PostColonel Cardiffi Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:31 am

The sprint event on the bikes is on the telly. Two guys start off really slow then speed up a bit, staring at each other all the time then for the last lap they just go for it. Just what the sheeit is going on here?
Judge dRed
Judge dRed
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 2500
Posting Flair : 186

PostJudge dRed Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 am

The aim of the game is to be first over the line. Why exert yourself until you have to?
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44 am

Colonel Cardiffi wrote:The sprint event on the bikes is on the telly. Two guys start off really slow then speed up a bit, staring at each other all the time then for the last lap they just go for it. Just what the sheeit is going on here?

I believe (speaking to someone who knows a bit more about it than I do, i.e. my son) that it's very tactical. The guy out in front has it much harder as he gets all the wind resistance, so the one behind gets a much easier ride in his slipstream, so the idea is to time his strike for the front at the right moment, while the one in front watches for when he's going to make his move.

It's the keirin that really gets me, though - who on earth came up with the idea of that rather pathetic motorised bike to chug along in front of the pack for a couple of laps at the start? I think the rider of this should have to wear a clown's costume.
Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend

PostColonel Cardiffi Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:51 am

The Tonker wrote:
Colonel Cardiffi wrote:The sprint event on the bikes is on the telly. Two guys start off really slow then speed up a bit, staring at each other all the time then for the last lap they just go for it. Just what the sheeit is going on here?

I believe (speaking to someone who knows a bit more about it than I do, i.e. my son) that it's very tactical. The guy out in front has it much harder as he gets all the wind resistance, so the one behind gets a much easier ride in his slipstream, so the idea is to time his strike for the front at the right moment, while the one in front watches for when he's going to make his move.

It's the keirin that really gets me, though - who on earth came up with the idea of that rather pathetic motorised bike to chug along in front of the pack for a couple of laps at the start? I think the rider of this should have to wear a clown's costume.

Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407 True. Looks like a guy on his way to work with bicycle clips on, unaware that he's blocking an race from happening. They should slap a top hat on him.
Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 am

Colonel Cardiffi wrote:
The Tonker wrote:

Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407 True. Looks like a guy on his way to work with bicycle clips on, unaware that he's blocking an race from happening. They should slap a top hat on him.

The most bizarre sight at the Olympics. He looks like a character off Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407
Colonel Cardiffi
Colonel Cardiffi
National Legend
National Legend

PostColonel Cardiffi Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 am

Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407
Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 am

This is great full stop.... but look out for Augustus Windsock at 5:54... Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407 Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407

Kamuza
Kamuza
International Call-Up
International Call-Up
User Points : 4084
Posting Flair : 832

PostKamuza Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 am

The Tonker wrote:

The Keirin is an act of genius. Now that a motorbike has been added to the velodrome events it is only a matter of time before they allow riders to cling onto it. Then they'll allow roller-skates. Then they'll add a ball to make it more interesting. Then they'll allow violence. And then we'll have Rollerball (the 1975 version) in the Olympics. Who doesn't want to see Sir Chris Hoy dragging someones head into the path of a cannon ball while Bradley Wiggins smashes his spiked fist into a face or two?

Valley Trash
Valley Trash
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 19382
Posting Flair : 1933

PostValley Trash Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:34 am

Kamuza wrote:
The Tonker wrote:

The Keirin is an act of genius. Now that a motorbike has been added to the velodrome events it is only a matter of time before they allow riders to cling onto it. Then they'll allow roller-skates. Then they'll add a ball to make it more interesting. Then they'll allow violence. And then we'll have Rollerball (the 1975 version) in the Olympics. Who doesn't want to see Sir Chris Hoy dragging someones head into the path of a cannon ball while Bradley Wiggins smashes his spiked fist into a face or two?

I'm in... Where do I sign Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 1525230823 Velodrome event: Sprint. What the hell? 692773407
JB
Club Legend
Club Legend
User Points : 8171
Posting Flair : 320

PostJB Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 am

The Tonker wrote:

To be honest I just thought the guy was lazy and rich, therefore could afford a better bike than the others.
Arkay Dubya
Arkay Dubya
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 28232
Posting Flair : 1906
http://westerneyes.smugmug.com/

PostArkay Dubya Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm

I'm all for this as I can see lots of gladiatorial athletes hanging on - in a Marty McFly-esque stylee - to the back of the clown's bike on their skateboards.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum