Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain
User Points : 2657
Posting Flair : 260

PostHappy Days Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 am

On Twitter last week.

"Bloody ridiculous that these Welsh footballers won't sing the National Anthem. They're representing GB, not Wales. Should be ordered to".

Presumably he is going to give Jessica Ennis a slagging for not singing the anthem too?

No thought not you hideous excuse for a human being.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar
User Points : 18418
Posting Flair : 1090

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 am

To be fair, Jessica Ennis was crying too much to sing.

And to be honest, as much as I hate myself for it, I find myself seeing his point here. If you don't like being involved with GB, take part as an independant and do as you like. If however you're happy to take a spot in team GB, respect it's ideas and embrace it, don't suddenly decide you hate the idea when you win something.

This shouldn't be taken as a 'the welsh are scum' kind of opinion, if you don't like GB fair enough, there's plenty of valid arguments why you wouldn't. But if you take a place in the team, represent it, don't insult it.

My closing point is EVERYONE should sing it. Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins and the like I also critiscise for the same reason, not just picking on the Welsh.
Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostHappy Days Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 am

Whether or not a competitor chooses to sing the anthem is their individual choice, and surely any one with half a brain can understand why a Welsh or Scottish person would feel uncomfortable singing GSTQ, even many English people hate the anthem and would prefer a new one such as Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory.

Most of the British medal winners have not sung GSTQ, Victoria Pendleton is the only one I've seen singing it. But of course this clown doesn't mention that. He also didn't mention that some of the English Team GB footballers didn't sing it.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:58 am

I never denied there's a reason the other UK countries wouldn't want to sing it, you're right. But when you have made the choice to take a spot in GB's team, don't suddenly decide you're not British when it comes to the anthems. It'd be like me taking a place in the Wales football team and refusing to ever sing the anthem purely because I'm not Welsh. It's insulting, and there would be many other proud Welshman that would deserve my spot more. In my opinion it's the same here for the British.

And yeah, while its my opinion everyone would sing it i take on board there is many reasons why you wouldn't. But if you have no reason beyond 'it's not my anthem', why the hell did you make GB your team?
Happy Days
Happy Days
Team Captain
Team Captain

PostHappy Days Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 am

The point I was trying to make was that morgan is a hypocrite. It seems it's ok not to sing the anthem if you're too emotional, you're embarrassed, you don't know the words, you're a republican, you've got a sore throat etc, but not if you feel that it doesn't represent you. I'm sure if the British anthem was not GSTQ then there wouldn't be such an issue.

Does anyone expect Andy Murray or Katherine Grainger to sing a song that contains the line - "And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush"?

Personally I'm pro British but I would never sing an anthem praising the Monarch.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:25 am

Yeah don't worry I know where you're coming from there haha. I'm horrified it sounds like in sticking up for him as I can't stand him, he has a history of making stupid remarks about everything. I believe he also said a whole back people should stop being proud of getting bronze and silvers because that means they've lost and sport is all about winning. It's ridiculous really.

And I'm also pro British and keenly patriotic of both that and my English heritages. But at the same time im also very much on the Welsh side with things like it they should be represented on the UK flag, and this point I also agree with that GSTQ shouldnt be the anthem of the whole UK. But I feel on this case right now it IS the anthem, and if you take a part in the team, you should accept that or go independant and stand for Wales, Scotland, etc.
Cyncoedslumdog
Cyncoedslumdog
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 14106
Posting Flair : 1465

PostCyncoedslumdog Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:15 am

I've never seen Welsh footballers singing their own bloody anthem.
Tyrion Tannister
Tyrion Tannister
Global Superstar
Global Superstar

PostTyrion Tannister Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:01 am

Cyncoedslumdog wrote:I've never seen Welsh footballers singing their own bloody anthem.

Neither did the English until Hodgson came along so in reality it's a bit of a meaningless point, but hey haha.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:53 am

It's an absurd comment from an absurd human being. Some people sing it, some don't, whether it's the Welsh, English or GB anthem. Maybe they've forgotten the words, maybe their singing is atrocious, or maybe they just don't think these anthems are especially important. With me it's all three.
The Tonker
The Tonker
National Legend
National Legend
User Points : 9488
Posting Flair : 1360

PostThe Tonker Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:12 am

Mo Farah didn't sing it for his medal ceremony just now - is Piers going to have a go at him as well? Thought not.
Sponsored content

PostSponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Create an account or log in to leave a reply

You need to be a member in order to leave a reply.

Create an account

Join our community by creating a new account. It's easy!

Create a new account

Already have an account? No problem, log in here.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum